Best Truck For Dump Body

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Canon Landscaping, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a truck 33k to mount a 10ft dump bed on and I have found many different trucks with different engines and transmissions and just wanted some opinions on these trucks as well as suggestions of other makes and models that would make a good dump truck.

international 4400 dt466 7spd 200k Miles
    sterling A9500 Cat C10 10spd 300-400k Miles
    international 4400 dt466 Allison 3060 Auto 100k miles
    freightliner fl80 3126 Cat 9spd 200-300k miles
  2. Bob Horrell

Bob Horrell LawnSite Member

I had a 4900 with 35K gvw, DT466, and a 10 speed. It was a great dump truck. I am not that impressed with the 4400 truck and if you are in any kind of hills you will not be happy with the 7 speed.
    I would vote for the Sterling or the FL80. I don't know too much about the Sterling, but you can't go wrong with the FL80. It is a well built truck. I am assuming that the 3126 motor is 250hp and coupled with a 9 speed should be just fine (assuming the rear end ratio is somewhere around 4:10 to 4:30).
  3. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply how many miles do these trucks go before they need to be overhauled ?

Is it better to have springs or air ride?

What would be the difference in fuel mpg between the cat 3126 and C12?
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A 10 foot box is too short a 12 foot box is better on a single axle.

As for truck I would be looking for a T-300 Kenworth or a Pete 330 with ISC or 3126 power.

The only way I would buy a Sterling would be brand new buying a used Sterling isn't that good.
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Spring is much more stable I think than air. You don't have to dump the bags before you dump, but they ride more rough. The C-12 is around 400 hp and like all CAT engines they drink fuel. How many miles really is a hit and miss thing revolving around upkeep and type of driving. I would consider a tandem right off the bat. I had a single axle IH truck for years. Hindsight, I should have just got the tandem, like I did later. There are no advantages to a single axle that the increase in payload wont cover. I am currently looking to update my tandem. Lot of trucks out there. I bet there will be many more by next Spring.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A single axle is a waste of space they can't carry a load and they don't get into places a tandem can't go. You consider a tandem axle here runs a 16'6" box a single axle here runs a 12 foot box. Now consider that is only 4 feet shorter. A single axle dump is MAXED out with 7 ton a tandem is good for 15 had 18-20 in tandems.