1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Truck to get?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by emil35, Feb 28, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

I currently have a 98 chevy s-10 w/ plow and a 1999 GMC 3500HD w/10' flatbed and plow. I'm trying to decide whether to keep both trucks during college, or sell them and pick up one truck that can do it all for me. I need a truck/combination of trucks that can haul up to 10000-12500 pounds when needed, gets good mileage, has some room in it, and looks good. I'm trying to save every penny I can at the moment for college so I'm not sure if it's worth having two trucks and paying insurance on them. What would you do/recommend? I've heard of "part-time" insurance but havn't seen anything on it yet. Thanks for your input

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Sell both trucks and buy a real mans truck. A Ford.:hammerhead:
  3. 4x4Jim

4x4Jim LawnSite Member

Ain't that the truth!
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would keep both trucks if you could afford to. It sounds like your set-up is good all around. A small truck for comuting and whatever, and then a big truck for mulch,stone as well as pulling 10k to 12.5k when you need it to. JMO
  5. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

yeah, it does seem that those trucks should do the job if your not getting involved in really big jobs. U didn't say if the flat bed dumped or not but if it doesn't u could put a hoist on it. I am also assuming that these trucks r good running trucks.. If you sell them for another used truck you take the chance of getting a junk when you already know what you have now.
  6. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Yea right...then spend all your profits on fixin the ford...
  7. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Here's what I was thinking if I went to one truck...3/4 ton/1 ton, ext. cab, short bed, 4x4, diesel. Have it equiped with hitches, plow, and all the other fixins. still going back and forth on what to do. Thanks again
  8. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

anyone know anything about "part time" insurance for work trucks? heard of it the other day on here and would like to know more about it. Thanks again
  9. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

A-men! :drinkup:
  10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Are both trucks that you currently own paid for? How long you had them and are they in good mechanical condition?