best truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajy, Jul 5, 2001.

1. ajy

ajy LawnSite Member

i am currently leasing two toyota tundras v8 extra cab sr5. but i'm not sure if they are the best thing for lawn care. they are very expensive trucks but i knew they will last at least 3 years. so what i need to know is what truck is the best when buying and what truck is the best when leasing. i carry around 1200lb including trailer. gas milage with my tundra and the trailer is around 17 hwy and 14 city.

2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

That is the impossible questions... i.e. Chevy vs. Ford. In MY OPINION, if you have to LEASE a truck, just go with whatever you can get the most power out of, for the lowest payment, becuase it doesnt matter, no truck is going to die in 3 years, unless you dont ever change the oil. And even if it does, its under warantee. As for buying, the Toyota would be a good choice. WHy dont you think its the best for lawn care? I would have gone regular cab, with the 8 foot bed, but that gas mileage is awesome. Lease american trucks, buy foreign, because while I HATE to admit it, toyotas, hondas, etc,, are a hundred times better than american autos. And dont get me wrong, I would love to buy american, I just dont trust the quality anymore. And hey, most "american" vehicles are produced in canada now!

3. ajy

ajy LawnSite Member

just as i was saying, i think the ford f150 will do but i'm hearing the f250 is the best choice. don't get me wrong, my tundra is a great truck but i believe i can do what i need to for less than $27.000

4. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

Don't forget the Tundra has best in class towing power(acceleration if I remember right)! That I Force V8 is something else! So comfortable, SO RELIABLE!!!! Buy a Ford and make a new friend........ the ford dealer mechanic!

The TOYOTA gets 'bout good as it gets gas mileage w/o having a diesel, as a matter of fact I don't think you could get better!

I must say leasing 2 Tundras! You must look VERY PROFESSIONAL!!!! I think the Tundra is a classy truck and you should stick with them!

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

1200 lbs isnt alot to be pulling around. I think whatever is the best deal will do just fine.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The toyota's are nice,but they are not good work trucks.I see yuppies drive tundra's to H-Depot,to get a few plants,or a bag of mulch.Am extended cab means a tiny little bed too,with the rear wheels almost under the cab,this truck isnt for working its a car with a little bes.An American made,3/4 or 1 ton single wheel 4x4 pickup is still the best compromise for a work truck.Why did you get the extended cab,when it robs you of the 8 ft bed,and is too small to carry anyone other than kids in it?I think its great personal use truck,but there are better ,cheaper work trucks.

7. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

I have a Dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9 360 and I lease it for 405 a month so 15000 for 3 years and then I dont buy it out i just lease a truck just like it for the same thing , It pulls nice good work truck good plowing but bad on gas well atleast the way I drive:D

8. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

John, i hate to say it, but i think you are wrong. I think the Tundra could kick the a$$ of any 1/2 ton. While i do agree that a 3/4 is best, the Tundra isnt a yupee truck. Ajy, for 27000, you cant get much of a truck these days. You can get a loaded 150, or a stripped 250 pretty much. But as I said earlier, if you are leasing, go with whats cheapest, unless you are plowing, then worry about real stuff like having an engine.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Ros,right now I can go buy a leftover 1 ton 12K GVWR GMC dump truck,with 2-3 yd rugby body,4.10 gears ,locking diff,350,auto,A/C,4x4,for 27000 even,pickup are even cheaper,Which one do you think is the better work truck?The Toy is a nice truck,but for work,I'd go with a much heavier duty truck.BTW,I wouldnt consider a full size 1500 series truck,so I didnt mention them,since they too,are personal use trucks for the most part.

10. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

I agree with John.

If you are towing or doing anything landscape get a heavy duty truck.
    I work for a large contractor and recently purchased an F250 diesel for my personal vehicle and to use at work when needed. We run F450's everyday. Now we're doing large commercial sites and towing 20'+ trailers, but if I were doing smaller sites, I would invest alittle money up front and get a truck that will last.
    Yes, you can tow with 150's and mid size but how much $$$ are people sinking into repairs each year, and when your mulching a home or cleaning up brush, where do you put it. It doesn't fit in the small trucks, and to make repeated trips to the same property is a waste of time and money. Also remember that your company will grow.
    When I was shopping for trucks, reg cab 2001 F250 diesel 4x4's were selling for 28,000. I got mine for 32,000 with the xplan. Mine is an ext. cab 4x4.