Best truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Larson Lawn Care, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I can't figure out which truck to buy. I have had a 2000 Chevy 1500 4x4 for the past several years. I am looking to trade her in for a new truck. I am running through tires every year and a half, rotors every year, and luckily no problems with the engine so far. It has 170k on it. I put about 30k on it every year.

What is the best truck in your opinion for towing 2 or 3 commercial mowers?

Fuel efficiency, power, durability, longevity!

Chevy 2500 (Gas/Diesel?)
    Ford F250 (Gas/Diesel?)
    Dodge 2500 (Gas/Diesel?)

2. VirginiaLawnCare

VirginiaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

This post is really not going to go anywhere its just going to turn into chevy vs dodge vs ford. Its all on what you like go look at all of them and pick the one you like if your not biased to just one car maker like a lot of us are.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

With this economy A paid off one:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::cool2::cool2:

4. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

This question is like asking what brand of beer is the best, or what is the best brand of toilet paper. I prefer GM 3/4 ton w/ gas engines for every day use and light hauling. And light hauling to me may be different to others as well. So basically whatever you are happy with is the best truck for you.

Oh and as for the beer and TP.....Bud Light and Charmin of course.

5. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Been covered many times in other threads. Do a search.

Most important, go and DRIVE each one, and then make a decision.

But remember - maintance on a current truck costs a lot less than payments on a new one, so keep that in mind as you consider you NEEDS, and then your wants.

6. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The reason I asked the question was to find out what is being used more. If more people were running one brand much more than the other, than maybe I would buy that brand.

If I do a search, it pulls up threads that are not always current, some are from years ago, which would help me none!

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A gas pot truck would probably do you fine for everyday driving. If you have employees etc the gas engines are easy and cheap to fix.

8. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Search for threads, this topic has been beaten to death every day since this site was started. It all comes down to personal preference.

9. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Okay - in this area, it seems as though Chevrolet & GMC have more of the market than Ford or Dodge. I've driven the '01 - '07 2500 HD chevy's - gas & diesel and find them rather nice to drive, however I have witnessed a few of them with severe rust issues already, (quarter panels and beds, in particular) though those are pre'03 (front end change). It's possible that my next rig may be a D-max/allison '05 - 07 though they are out of my price range right now.

I also put things like turning radius, crosswind stability, and resale value into the mix. Test drive a truck for 45 minuites at least, make sure the seats fit you well, check out visability, the controls, etc. It all matters down the road.

All three truck at quaility products at this point. It does really come down to personal preferance, or, perhaps what your friends drive and what they will give you a hard time for, Most folks I know here drive GM trucks, they put up with my Dodge as it's a diesel. :dizzy: But seriously, my friends don't care what I drive, but on occasion I drive thiers, and I find that some I like, some I don't.

Just my $.02 - hope it may help...:usflag:

10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Cresswell.