Best trucks on fuel 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JMiller08, Mar 29, 2010.

1. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

What trucks have the best fuel mileage. Im looking to buy a new truck and wondering about fuel economy. It has to be 4x4 and extended cab. Gas or diesel. What ya guys think?

2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Well I'm sure a 1/2 ton Chev with the 5.3 gets 20mpg, don't know about a Colorado or Rangers mpg though. Diesel's with the emissions crap don't do to well either. I have a 3/4 ton Chev 6.0 gets 13mpg.

But all this doesn't matter if the truck can't pull what you need it to. Sure a 1/2 5.3 gets 20mpg but it doesn't help if your pulling a 20 ft enclosed trailer everyday or a skidsteer trailer does it?

Figure out what you are going to tow, finds the vehicles that will tow it (not overloaded), then pick what one gets the mpg or whatever you are looking for.

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'm pretty sure my diesel with the emmissions crap does pretty well. I can get atleast 20mpg on the highway.

Obviously the 1/2 ton will get the best mileage. a v6 1500 will get more mpg's then a 6.0 gas 2500 that will get you roughly 11mpg's. What are you using the truck for? estimates? towing a trailer?

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The most fuel efficient truck is a 86 Ford F-250 4x4 with 4:10 gears 460 gas with 4bbl carburetor and C6 automatic you should easily get 24 mpg with a truck like this.

5. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

Heres the thing. Im going to be pulling at the biggest a 16 ft open trailer. Tommarow i have an interview with a company for a full time job. If i do get the job it is 20 miles away all highway. So thats 40 miles a day. I really would like a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel. If i could get 20 a gallon then thats 2 gallons per day so about $5. Thats Only around $100 a month plus other driving. Right now my little 95 nissan only gets about 18 to a gallon due to poor gearing so the diesel is deff an improvement.

6. LS1FRC

LS1FRC LawnSite Member

hahaha I like your response. LOL 4:10 gears... yeah you know your saving fuel when your rpm's are always high. :laugh:

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

You will never find truck that get higher than 20 mpg.

Only way is get F150 or F250 2wd with 6 cylinder inline 4.9L with 5 speed you be see 16-24 mpg.

8. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

a highly modified duramax can get 20plus....i can get 25 highway with mine on 245 highway style tires...

but you are talking big money for the truck and then the add ons...

9. Moto52

Moto52 LawnSite Member

25mpg? yea sure going with the wind doing 60mph downhill...... I know a few people with duramaxs and they get no where near that. 18mpg is about what you can expect to get out of them. what do you mean highly modified? you think bigger injectors and bigger turbo your going to get better mileage???

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

defy physics is it possible? 20 mpg in any diesel on the highway haha you guys must be going like 60 with no traffic in the Texas night. Driving like a normal person on the highway with traffic try about 14-18 in a diesel w/3.73's. A 1500 4.3 chevy will get you about 18 on the highway about 10 pulling the 16ft trailer in the city. F150 with a 4.2 about the same as the v6 chevy. The diesels will get around 14-16 in the city with the trailer.