Best turf growth regulater?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CharlieBingo, Jun 17, 2004.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I think a good PGR could really help with lessening my labor and increasind my prfits any suggestions or info? One that won't harm turf thanks in advance.

2. Check out Primo Maxx

3. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Primo is good, I like Embark for shrubs and turf. I use it on the edge. Reduces time on trimming. I get about 4-6 weeks out of one application. If your into just fert you could sell the service to homeowners. They would love to not have to cut the grass every week.

4. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I forgot to mention I reduced one man buy using embark

5. CharlieBingo

aRE THERE ANY pgr'S IN GRANULAR FORM?

6. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

:cool:
    All my stuff has been on PGR's for sometime....
    can't speak enough @ the great work they do!
    My turf program:
    Proxy on April 15th
    Again
    2 or third week in Oct. depends on weather
    It keeps my mowing WAY down....plus ya mix in some iron & one has a tight lawn!

Shrubs:
    Atrimmec 1 week after pruning cycle....
    Spring 2 oz/gal
    Fall 1 oz/ gal

Can't speak enough GREAT things about Atrimmec!

If you're NOT on PGR'S....... you work too hard!

:)

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yesterday I spread Primo at a school complex I do with my PG Ultra. Went around all the fencelines, trees, anything that had to be trimmed.

I ran it at 1.3 oz / 1000. Basically fescue / rye grasses, I'll report next week again on how it turns out.

8. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I have couple of questions for the guys using it. I recently started looking for a good PGR product to use on residential lawns myself. So far I haven't found anything that will work in a permagreen ultra spreader. Just bought one with 50 hrs on it, still learning how to use it but eager to put it to work. If I am missing something let me know. If any of you permagreen owners have successfully found and used a product let me know.

1) Proxy by Bayer / Chipco seems to be the only one I found that might work but the label is calling for a rate of 5 oz/1000 sq ft and a water volume of .5 to 4 gallons of water/1000. The math for the dilution was easy although it is off the permagreen charts. The volume of water applied by a PG has me concerned. According to my supplier the PH for this product is really acidic and might burn out the lawn if not diluted properly. It might also be bad for the equipment. I also spoke to a Andersons rep and he said not to use their product (turf enhancer) in a PG because of the water volume issue listed above, any thoughts.
    2) For the guys who have been successfully using it do you still go out and cut those lawns weekly or do you put fresh tire tracks in the lawn. I am looking to reduce my clippings not eliminate them.
    3) What has happens if it is over-applied spray overlap etc.?

9. CharlieBingo

Any PGR's in granular form?

10. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

No granulars, there are very few PGR's on the market. Primo is king, it not only slows growth but improves the root mass of turf grass, thereby making it more drought tolerant and healthier. With PGR's like Embark, you need to add iron or nitrogen to help mask the discoloration, with Primo. color will actually improve without adding anything!