Best type/brand of belt

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hdtvluvr, Nov 5, 2006.

1. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best belt brand for engine to deck and deck belts?

I've found OEM belts with polyester cord and others with kevlar cords. Which is better?

Is a belt just a belt?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

STENS are top belts they get run well over 500 hours.

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, kevlar belts used mainly where there r many twists and turns [a standard rubber in this application would have a shorter life]It is a stronger belt.
    Unfortunately u also see kevlar used where the maker of mower is trying to make up for under design [standard belt cannot take the hp]:hammerhead:
    Just make room 4 another belt!!! Some mowers have many many upgrades. :hammerhead:

As per belt makers there r belts in the standard rubber with notches on the inside or outside of belt, this will also increase hp capacity of belt.

Best practice is to make sure pulleys in good shape,aligned and proper tension

U can gain some if u understand belts also by interchanging imperial[usa std] with a metric type and visa versa CAUTION !!!I mainly use this to allow 4 worn pulleys eg to get the belt to sit higher in the groove,,cross section sizes must be known .

tomo

4. hdtvluvr

Thanks for the info about Stens.

I just did a search and Restrorob says that Dixie Choppers use raw edge belts for the deck belts. The belt I am currently looking for is the engine to deck belt (9907B85 or equivalent). Is it also a raw edge belt?

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

PM you.....k

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This particular belt is made by carlisle and is a raw edge belt, Many aftermarket companies handle this brand. Believe me Dixie performs extensive testing of belts to find the best performing belt for their units so I really doubt you will find any better for the price.

7. hdtvluvr

I got the belt this week and decided to put it on today. Then I ran into trouble.

It looks like the only way to get the belt between the 2 pivoting pulleys is to remove one from the swivel mount. This is in regard to the engine to deck belt.

Now for the dumb questions.
    1. Is one pulley easier to remove than the other?
    2. What is the trick to remove the nut below a pulley when the pulley is on a swivel mount?
    3. Can this be done from above or do I have to raise the mower and do it from below?

I got the belt on the engine and the front pulley without any problems.

8. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 LawnSite Member

Gates Green Stripe belts.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Here's how it's done;

1. Lower the deck all the way.
    2. Remove the hair pin clip from the engagement rod then drop it out of the engagement lever.
    3. Spray some type of penetrating lube on the top of the idler assembly pivot shaft if needed then slide the idler assembly up off the shaft.
    4. Flip the assembly over and remove the screw on older units or nut on newer units holding the flat idler in place then hold the belt in the 'V' idler pulley then remove the flat idler and belt.

Reassemble in reverse order, The rear belt guides should be adjusted to 1/8" clearance from the belt with it engaged.

Cya

10. hdtvluvr

OK, so I need to:

1. remove the idler assembly
    2. put the belt into the idler assembly
    3. replace the idler assembly back on the mower
    4. place the belt over the deck pulley and engine pulley
    5. reinstall engagement rod
    6. adjust rear belt guides

Thanks!