Best type of Pre-em for mulched landscape beds?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by andersman02, May 4, 2013.

1. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

So as we are coming up on our mulch jobs, I got to thinking.

Well be moving about 40+yds of mulch next week, probably more as soon as esto's go out, and most have opted to have Pre-Emergent layed down after mulching. Usually we just use Preen w/ fert but since we are a turf company, we have Prodiamine w/ 17% urea on hand, lots of it.

Im thinking of switching to prodiamine in those beds with established plants.

What is your guys choice of Pre-Em in beds? Also has anyone used a liquid formulation w/ a backpack sprayer? Has that sped up application time?

2. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever heard of Snapshot? Check it out and do some research. I tried it on a new install. Working pretty good so far..... hardly every have to spot spray the beds while doing maintenance. Saves big on glypho!

3. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive heard of snapshot no experience though. Is it 100% granular or can you get a liquid form? Have you used preen and how does it compare
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a liquid mix of barricade and gallery.. works pretty good..

5. PamlicoLawnCare

PamlicoLawnCare LawnSite Member

When using prodiamine (barricade) can you broadcast spray that over all existing plants in the plant beds?...no injury?

How long does typical weed prevention last before reapplication and at what rate?

I always thought a granular like Preen or Snapshot would last a lot longer but after a glance at a prodiamine (Barricade 4L) label it looks like that might be the way to go.

Also, what type of mulch do you use? We're in coastal North Carolina and 95% of plant beds here are pine straw.

I'm starting to get tired of spraying glyphosate myself...I couldn't tell you how many gallons I've used already and it's only May.

Sorry...don't mean to hijack your thread.

Thank You,

Rod
    Pamlico Lawn Care, LLC
    Oriental, NC

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I use Snapshot seems to do a good job for me.

7. Kleen Kutz

Kleen Kutz LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ama,La

Snapshot works pretty good but it's expenses though. Have anyone tried Ornamec it's an over the top herbicide. Cost about $40 for a 32oz. bottle.