1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best Used Medium Duty Truck. GVW 14k to 25k

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Jan 20, 2006.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, heres a pic of what i have.[​IMG]

2. CrewCutEnterprises

I went and test drove several new and used vehicles today. Here are my basic choices listing in no particular order.

Capable of towing a 7k trailer without a CDL
    #1 Ford F550 GVW 17,500 for 2000 model
    #2 Ford LCF or GMC or Izusu GVW 16,000

Not capable of towing a trailer.
    #1 Ford F650 GVW 25,500
    #2 GMC 5500 GVW 25,500
    #3 Isuzu FTR GVW 25,500
    #4 International 4700 GVW 25,500

My dilema is I want more carring capacity, easy repair, something i can fix and work on. I'm not sure if I want to be able tow a trailer but it would be a nice option. my 16 ft trailer is rated at 7k. I could buy a 10 ft trailer that has a 3000 gvw for leaf removals etc and derate a 25,500 gvw truck to 22,500.

Im triing to keep it under CDL range. I dont want to have to get it and mainy I dont want to have to hire employees with it.

Help Me anyone.

3. CrewCutEnterprises

It will be a single cab, with a 12 or 14 ft dump or switch n go system. For landscaping stone work, gravel hauling, leaves and mulch

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your best bet would be either a F-650 with the Cummins ISB, or with the C7 Cat.

My personal preference would be the Cat, especially if you want more power and towing capability, but for just putting around with a load the Cummins would be fine.

I know some of the Cats have been having problems with their EGR and injection system, but I hear that they've been pretty much eliminated now.

5. CrewCutEnterprises

I did like the f650, but the international has better visibility i feel.The f650 has a big grill and im short, it makes it worse

6. Smalltimer1

The IH does have a larger windshield, and more than likely better mirrors, but as a truck its probably not that much different from the 650 overall.

If I were looking at an IH, I'd look at the 4400 and the 4700 as you said. In any case, it would definitely have a DT-466 under the hood. They are a time proven engine developed in International Harvester farm tractors in the late 70's.

7. CrewCutEnterprises

Thanks alot, I agree about a dt 466.I've seen they have used that motor for 15 years. Maybe more.Its a tried and tru motor. Looks good.

Im leaning twards the international 4700 series with dt 466 with auto tranny.

I also like the GMC kodiak's. I've yet to drive them, may do that tomarrow. I do like the international, and there is a dealer 5 mins away

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The C-7 Cat and Allison works pretty good the utility companies run Internationals with 466 and Allison work not too bad. If you want to haul gravel you will have to stick with a medium duty. You can derate a medium duty with a 33,000lb gvw down to what you need.

Like I meantioned to you a couple times before you want a truck with a minimum 21,000lb rear axle and minimum 9000lb front axle.

9. CrewCutEnterprises

I can derate a 33k truck too,down to 25,995 or so. As long as it doesnt have air brakes, i should be fine. And thanks for all the info on my other post

10. Smalltimer1

One more thing that may be worthless to this discussion but might be of interest is that International makes the F-650/750 chassis and Ford puts their choice of engine (Cat, Cummins, or PSD), transmission (Eaton manual or Alli-auto) and the cab on the chassis.