1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Used Mower on a Budget

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by APLUS LAWN CARE, Feb 11, 2013.

APLUS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from North Missouri

I am searching for a commercial mower for the 2013 mowing season. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money so buying a new mower is out of the picture. I have a budget of about $4,000 to $5,000. I have looked at a lot of different mowers and I am having a hard time deciding. I do need a zero turn, with a 60" deck. What kind of mower would be best in that price range?

I have looked at some Kubota's and John Deere's simply because I have a dealer for both close to me so the parts would be easy to get. In that price range, I can get a John Deere with about 1,500 hours on it or a diesel Kubota with about 1,700 to 2,000 hours on it. Suggestions?
  2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I think we need to either increase the budget or come down on the expectations, give on either one of those or a little of both.
  3. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

You can find a JD 757 or 777 for that price depending on its condition and hours. Good machines I had a 757 with 1600 hours on it before I traded it in for a new 925a.
  4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Im sure you can find a used ZTR for like 4500 with limited hours if you watch craigslist just before spring
  5. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a kubota for sale in the classifieds section, I'm not sure where you are located though.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. shortgrass01

shortgrass01 LawnSite Member
    from SC

the best mower is one that you can tear apart and put back together your self, with a floating deck. no wider that 42 inches.
  7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I recently sold a 2011 Gravely Pro-Master 260, Kawasaki engine, with 630 hours in excellent condition for $5,000 so it is doable in your price range if you find the right seller. Those mowers through the dealer seem a bit on the high side, with that many hours, in my opinion. Of course, you can expect to pay more at any dealer than a private party sale. Good luck.
  8. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member

Still for throwing down $5,000 if your maxed on your cash you should try to get something newer with a warranty. You can get a newer Commercial Deere zeroturn smaller 48 inch deck for low 6 grand range or maybe look into a Toro Titian 48 that would be like 5 grand there with a 2 year warranty or more probaly start you out fine. But try to get something newer to have a warranty especially if your bank is limited with funds right now.
  9. KnK

KnK LawnSite Member

saw 4 Brickman Exmark Lazer Z S series with 800 hrs 60 inch 2011's, go for $4,050 each, they were lease turn ins at the dealer
  10. jschultznorth

jschultznorth LawnSite Member

I see a lot of super z's with 600-900 hours on craigslist for 3500-4000. I wouldn't buy any gas ztr with 1500 hrs on it. If the person didn't do regular maintenance or put it through heck it is about done in most cases. Kubota diesel should go close to 4000 hrs or more even with abuse. These findings are from experience with mowers we use. Have 2 kubota diesels that are around 2000 hours and 2 deeres 820a and 810 a both with kawasaki's. One motor went out at 1500 and the dealer said that was not unusual for them to go out between 1500-1800 hrs. We do use ours pretty rough though. THere are some jobs where we do 3 miles of steep ditches in some developments.
    With the deals that are going on now though your best bet is to buy new with warranty. I myself am going to buy the z915b at 7000 this month with 3k down my payments will be 119 a month for 36 months.