BEST VALUE residential ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ghustonus, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ghustonus

ghustonus LawnSite Member

HI from a newbie,

I have looked around the site a little and haven't been able to find an answer to the following question:

What is the best value ZTR for a residential homeowner and why?

I currently have an old swisher ZTR (the three wheel variety) that needs more TLC (parts and time) each time I mow.

I am looking at the following mowers:

Cub Cadet i1042 and RZT50
    Snapper 150Z (both 33" single blade and 42" dual blade)
    Toro z4200
    A comparable john deer
    Hustler sport

The exmark and scag mowers I looked at are out of my price range

Ease of operation and maintenance are important as is even cut and good mulching. Please advise as to any others to look at and help me decide. I am looking for most bang for my buck.

Gary

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind that my knowledge of residential ztr's is minimal...

I think the scag and exmark residential ztr's are more for the people who have a couple acres to mow at their personal homes. All the other choices are designed for more of the average residential lawn. I personally don't like snappers too much. I would either go with the Deere or Toro. But which ever one you go with I would make sure you buy it from a very good dealer.

3. Lakewlc

Lakewlc LawnSite Bronze Member

the cub cadet rzt 50 is nice with the kawisaki.. seem to be built pretty good

4. ramcat

ramcat LawnSite Member

any one of the jd ez traks would be nice for you. they all have commercial grade hydros and good engines to go with them. they would probably last a homeowner a lifetime. you can choose from the z225, z425, z445 and z465.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I would double your question in the homeowner forum. You might get a better response there.

6. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My company runs all Scag mowers, but I certainly understand that they are pricey. The dealer I buy my Scags from also sells Snapper. He really likes their mowers for a lower price option. If the 33" mower your talking about is the same deck used on their rear engine riders,that's a great cutting deck. I know a single blade deck leaves a nice cut.

7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider purchasing a used commercial machine in good condition. If you find a good deal there, that would most likely be the biggest bang for the buck that you want.

8. powernoje

powernoje LawnSite Member

Hustler... fastrak or sport....

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Hustler Sport....hands down. It's around $3000.

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

A JD Ztrack would probably suit you well. they are nice mowers