Best Valves and Sprinklers for Shallow Well Water

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Seminole, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Seminole

Seminole LawnSite Member

I'm in FL and have a shallow well pump on my property for irrigation. I have only been in the home 6 months and I know from the previous owner that the well water has quite a bit of debris in it, which caused him headaches with solenoid valves and heads getting stuck, clogged etc.

As I begin to maintain/improve the existing system, I'm curious as to what the best valves and heads would be for this type of water. I'm sure there must be some out there that handle debris and shallow well water better than others.

Any input from you pros out there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a filter after the pump?

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What he said ^

4. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

^^ What they both said ^^

if the debris is real bad I would use a series of 2 or 3 filters. The first being a larger screen and working towards a finer one. As far as valves go, every contractor has there preferences and different reason they use Hunter, Toro, Irritrol, Weathermatic etc... The important thing is use a good commercially available one, not a homedepot special.

5. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

So, what I think we are agreeing on is, There are no special valves nor heads, for this situation (Not profitable) You have to scrub (clean) the water. Too many small orafices (Nessessary) for grimmy water. That's my Nickle.:)

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Well, there are dirty water valves and sprinkler choices that would work better than others, but those options will only tolerate some dirty water. Going down that road would be significantly more expensive than just putting in an appropriate filter.

7. Seminole

Seminole LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. As far as filters go, I have recieved a suggestion of a Vu Flow filter with 60 mesh. (for starters). Thoughts?