1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Vehicle to use for lawn care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KingMoneyNYC, Jul 10, 2008.

1. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

I currently have a 04 Toyota Tundra crew cab and just load all my mowers and equipment into the bed every morning before I goto work...this is becoming a hassle, plus sometimes I worry about people taking things out of the truck when im not watching...

do you think a 6 x 12 trailer would be the best option for me?

I was leaning towards getting some kind of box truck ( I like the idea of being able to put a Large logo on the side of it, and it MAY be more fuel efficient than my truck) what are the negatives of a box truck?

any other suggestions?
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What are your future plans for your business? If you can get everything into the back of your truck now then that is your best option. Your truck will get it's best mileage with the setup you have now.

A trailer will probably yield better fuel mileage than any box truck you can get. Enclosed trailers are pretty bad on mileage too.

I don't know what kind of mileage you're getting out of your Toyota but if it's anything under 15/16 then you need to modify your driving habits.

Be extremely easy on acceleration. Try to drive no faster than 55 mph. Let the truck coast twice as far as you usually do before stopping at a traffic light or stop sign. Lightly apply the brakes. Overinflate your tires. Clean air filters help too. Change the oil regularly and use synthetic oil.
  3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I think that you would find that working out of a trailer is much more productive than using the truck bed. Easier, faster, safer. Especially if you use (or plan to use) larger mowers. However, it is a pain to park, back up, and store.

I have no experience with a box truck, but that may be the best of both worlds. There are also open truck beds specifically set up for landscaping. These look really nice:
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

A 6X12 i think would be your best option. If you load stuff in the back of your tundra all the time it will cause the back end to permanantly sag like my cousins tundra. All he did with it was deliver newspapers for a couple years and the truck fell apart.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If a 5 X 10 trailer will hold your stuff it will give you better fuel mileage as it will sit behind your Tundra.
  6. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

So you're saying he put in newspapers and his entire truck fell apart?

Exaggerate much?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Probably a 6x12 is not a bad idea.

I hate it when that happens.
  8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

What kind of mowers do you run???
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Tundra DC and without my trailor there is no way I could get to work. Get you a trailor and make life easier! We have a company here that sells a 6 x 12 for around 800 bucks. Got to have the right equipment to get the job done.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, it's a Toyota. What do you expect?