Best Visa/Debit Processing company

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ecoscape01, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

WHO IS THE BEST COMPANY TO GO WITH? I have a customer who would like my services for a project. For large projects I require a 50% deposit before beginning work. He is only comfortable with giving me the deposit if I accept his payment via credit card which I completely understand. I've looked into this briefly in the past but never needed it until now. I knew it was inevitable and now I am ready to set it up. Who do I go with.

Thanks,
    Brian
    EcoScape Home and Lawn, Inc.

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

www.commercepaymentsystems.com is who I use. Its inexpensive, and I'e had no issues yet.

Keep in mind the only reason the guy only feels comfortable giving you a deposit with a credit card is that he can charge it back if he wishes. This defeats the purpose of a deposit. I'm not saying I would take a credit card deposit, its why we have a credit card machine, but I would be careful with this perticular guy.

3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i had quickbooks for a while, i think its done from someone else though, it was terrible, biggest scam ever, they declined a couple transactions do to their fraud department wanting to check into them first, they were for like 6500 dollars or something. I ran it through a second time then i got charged fees for it, like 1000 dollars worth. They said it was my fault, i go the money back, only because i told the bank they were fraudlulent and then closed the account down.

4. fknippenberg

fknippenberg LawnSite Member

I've used Quickbooks Merchant Services for a couple of years and have had no issues - Only once have they questioned a transaction, simply asked to see an invoice as it was a transaction higher than our normal charges - we sent them the invoice, they confirmed with the customer and we had our money 2 days later....I'd highly recomend Quickbooks Merchant Services if you use quickbooks for your accouting - it integrates very nicely.

Things to look for when selecting a company

1. Account setup fees
    2. Per transaction fees and discount %
    3. Do they require you to purchase equipment - in this business you don't need equipment find someone who will let you do it online...You will very rarely actually have the card so no need to pay for expensive equipment.
    4. How long it takes for you to receive money for a transaction.

Your bank is usually a good source for this type of service, most of them offer it directly or partner with another provider.