best w/b?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A+ Lawncare, Apr 14, 2005.

1. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

looking for the best w/b on the market (new or used), willing to spend around $3k. i want a 48'' w/b, hydro, floating deck.... what can i get for the buck? :help:

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think your going to find a good, new hydro wb for anything under $4000. you could probably get a metro hp 48" for 3K though. if you look in the newspaper, you might be able to find a used one for that price.

3. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Bump that up another $800 and you can get the Lesco 48" float deck/
    Very nice machine for the price.

4. bmh1202

bmh1202 LawnSite Member

I just picked up my new 15/48 exmark viking today. Last years model, I got it for $3800. Good luck finding a new one for 3k.

5. A+ Lawncare

hmm..... i guess i was thinking more of the used mowers, a few years old w/a hundred hrs or so. i guess i gotta beef up my price budget, what bout $4,500 am i getting in the price range for a new commercial w/b hydro, floating deck? what do you guys recommend?

i just visited an online inventory of an lesco dealer in my town and saw this.....(i know its not hydro, but its more in the $3k price range, mite i add lower than $3k, that price is more around an 36'' w/b i've been researching :cool2: ) is the hydro really worth it? how much more does an hydro list for new?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOWER W/B GEAR 48" 15HP KAW

Category: Equipment

Group: Walk Behind Rotary Mower

Type: Not Applicable (Type)

Form: Belt Drive

Packaging: 15 HP Kawasaki

Size: 48"

Brand: LESCO

UOM: EA

Weight: 468LB

Retail Price: $2,499.00

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Like TC said under 3k, good luck I just bought an Exmark 36" Metro on Friday and paid 4098.00w/bagger. If your looking for for the best 3k can buy (new) look on E-bay under lawn and garden sometimes companies have special prices for mowing packages, BUT remember you get what you pay for. :waving:

7. nobagger

from Pa

A+, I posted a reply a second ago. And to answer your question, "is a hydro worth it?" YES YES YES, the Metro HP(floating deck) I just bought is kind of a pain in the a$$. This was the first and last belt driven mower I will ever buy! I tried it out on my own lawn first and just to get it off of the trailer I banged it 3 times trying to turn it. It doesn't have nearly the response as my hydro's do. There was only so much left in our budget for a smaller mower, but not a 21"er I guess i have to give it time to get used to (shifting etc.)

8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Just get a fricking belt drive Toro T bar, the best in my opinion, unless you want to spend for a Hustler H bar (they fricking rock)

9. A+ Lawncare

hmm.... i guess $4,500 still won't touch it! to tell ya truth i got $8k saved... but i only wanna depart with like $5,500 thats to last all season too

10. nobagger

from Pa

I hear good things about the Metro HP, I just never used a belt driven before. Like anything you have to get use to it. And the Exmark name speaks for itself, well I think. Also look for a Demo model they are usually a lot cheaper than new, obviously. :waving: Look into a newer used w/b thats what I started out with.