Best Walk Behind for Bermuda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jklawns, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

Hey guys I wanted to know what is the best walk behind to purchase to cut bermuda grass. I live in Oklahoma so I only cut bermuda, zoisa, and fescue. The majority of my lawns are bermuda. I am looking at getting a 48 and a 32 without going over $8000. I mulch 95% of my lawns and I want to know which walk behind leaves the best looking cut on bermuda

Thanks for your Help!!!:)

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

A reel mower.

3. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

I cant keep up with the maitenance on a reel mower. Is there a rotary mower that does a good job?

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We have a 36" Ferris and it does a nice job. Bermuda is about the only summer grass around here. Walkers are the predominant bigger mower here in town we do see a few Exmarks and more Ferris's every day.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Bermuda grass is one of the easiest grasses to cut in this area, though I hear in the coastal South East it can get a little nasty. I think I would base my decision on which WB handled the best and was the most comfortable to operate (and of course demo, demo, demo). Lots of Lawnsite members seem to love Exmarks controls. Scag has a very interesting new WB that is supposed to be very easy to operate and reduce wrist fatigue. I think you have a lot of good choices that would do a good job in your area, but since your going to be spending a lot of time using it get one that feels right for you. I think a hydro over a belt drive would be a no brainer if I was doing much with a WB. I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions on this.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

This new Scag is interesting but (since it's a new model) I haven't heard of any feedback yet?
    http://www.scag.com/prov/prov.html

I'm not recomending this one, its just interesting.

provInstrumentpanel-250.jpg

Pro-V_outdoor-shot275.jpg

7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" exmark TTHP with a mulch kit on it and it does a very good job on the bermuda. A 36" TTHP leaves an even better cut- doesn't scalp as much. If you are looking for 2 mowers I would recommend a 36"& a 52"
    exmark. They both cut excellent and use the same size blades.

8. LawnPro19

LawnPro19 LawnSite Senior Member

i own a hustler hydro walk 15hp 37in, i absolutely love it, leaves a great cut, full floating deck, then no longer make the model i have it is now replaced with the trimstar model... but all we can give you is our opinions you need to demo and get a feel for what you like and feel comfortable with...good luck and let us know what you decide on!!!