Best Walk-Behind for the money

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Thumb Lawncare, May 28, 2003.

1. Green Thumb Lawncare

Green Thumb Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Just starting out in the business, and about to buy a new walk-behind, Down here in Texas, the most common mowers seem to be Snapper and John Deere. What would you suggest?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Exmark or Toro....................

In fairness I've never used Snapper or John Deere.

Demo everything you can.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

SNAPPER pro HYDRO

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Low-budget LCO: eXmark 36" Metro with 13hp Kawi
    High-budget LCO: eXmark 36" TTHP with 15hp Kawi Twin

Get 36" so you literally mow everywhere, gated backyards, pools, garden, median, hill, slopes whereever grass grow...don't forget to sell your 21" and put money on Stihl or echo or redmax.

PS: Junglewheels sulky is the "must" so you can ride and get the full speed of WB out of it.

5. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo whatever you can, and get what you like.

I bought a 36" deere walk behind this year and I really like it so far. Next year I am going to look into JD's standers (657). One main reason I run a lot of Deere equipment is because of dealer support.

walkbehind.jpg

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Turf tracer 23 Kohler, 52 Or 60" Ultracut deck.
    John

745resized.jpg

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Low budget LCO- Scag SW36-14KA 36" belt drive 14hp Kawasaki, sulky and mulch kit.

High budget LCO- Scag SWZU36-14KA 36" hydro drive floating deck 14hp Kawasaki, sulky and mulch kit.

LCO is Lawn Care Operation or sometimes Lawn Care Operator.
    Scag, Exmark, Toro, etc. they're all good. Of the two you listed I would go Snapper because IMHO John Deere doesn't know how to build a commercial mowing machine, although lots of people have them and like them. I used to use a JD 54" ZTR where I used to work and it was lousy... didn't cut good, missed grass at 7mph, clumped, couldn't stripe (that doesn't matter to you I know). Now i have two Scags, a 52" hydro walk behind and sulky with a mulch kit, and a 61" outfront deck hydro rider with a modified deck (modified to be like the new Scag decks) and the walk behind cuts great at a good speed and the rider cuts and discharges super at full speed.
    good luck,
    Eric

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Demo, Demo, Demo Nobody can decide for you. But, also consider which dealer has the best support after the sale. I run a 2002 JD 757 which I have had no problems yet. My JD dealer offers the best support of any other dealers in my area.

9. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

there are so many people building machines today, probably 90% are great machines, there are definitely some to stay away from.
    like DLCS said go demo machines, find the one that suits you best. things to think about, are the controls user friendly, dealer location, parts availability, warranty, construction (deck thickness/design). i would go max hp on the machine, it would be hydro, and a floating deck....

good luck, keith

p.s. oh yea!!!!!!! exmark turf tracer

i have had some deere stuff (455 lawn tractor ) good machine but not a ztr, have never demoed snapper stuff, here you see more exmarks, scags, hustler, toro, a few d/c's, and a few kubota's

10. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Find your best dealer first.Ask how long he has carried XY brand.What time does he open.Does he offer a loaner if your unit is down waiting for a part.Does he stock a lot of parts.That will determine what you buy.See if you can look at his garage area; is it full of commercial equip. or homeowner machines.Does he offer stop shop service for commercial guys.Check this first.