Best walk behind mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dpr_specials, Jul 11, 2005.

1. dpr_specials

dpr_specials LawnSite Member

I want wanting to buy a walk behind mower 48" cut, but I do not know which one is good. I have been looking at scag, wright, yazoo, great dane, ferris and exmark. I have been also looking at the hydro vs belt. I have to cut 9 house from my own property. I pay usually $800 to $1200 a month to cut grass. I know everbody is going to tell me get a zero-turn, but for me right now I am wanting a walk behind.
  2. vision5

vision5 LawnSite Member

:blob3: Did you look at the Dixon mowers I had two one was seven years old and ran like a charm no problems the other was new very fast and clean cut
    awsome blades too, one was 38inch cut newer one was 30inch cut chain driven no hydro I also had a Ariens the Dixons ran circles around this and cut was cleaner and faster.
  3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

I would get a TTHP 48", stay away from Dixon
  4. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I have a TTHP 48" and IMO it leaves the best cut of any mower out there. Only one problem. I broke my wrist a while back and am having some problems that limit my ability to use a WB for any length of time.
  5. Tight Angles

Tight Angles LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52'' Toro Proline and it runs excellent. It has a 17hp Kawasaki engine that doesn't quit, and makes great lines in the grass. It is pretty fast too and is hydo driven. It ran me about $4500 new.