Best Walk Behind Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Inman's lawn care, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

What is the the Best Walk Behind Mower?
    Hustler?
    Ex-mark? Viking
    Quick-36?
    Toro?
    John Deere?
    Any others you can suggest or use?
    What's the best motors and experiences with them?

Is a Floating Deck a must have? Is there more PM with an Floating deck?
    Is the Fixed deck that big of a deal to change?
    What Walk Behind Mower last the longest?
    What one's dont need as much PM?

Looking to Buy a Walk Behind for next season I mow alot of commercial and residential.
    Thanks,
    Inman's Lawn Care
    inmanslawncare@yahoo.com

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob-Cat or Toro Proline!!! They are both built like tanks, and give absolutely fantasitc cut and stripe!! No, a floating deck IMO is more trouble than it's worth (many more parts to fail), unless you're mowing really uneven areas. I've got around 325 Hrs. on my Bob-Cat with NO problems at all!!! I've got around 100 Hrs. on my Toro Proline with NO problems at all!!! I can't say enough good things about my Bob-Cat and Toro Proline mowers! Kawasaki engines are far better than Kohler or Honda IMO. I've had no problems with the Kawi's on either of the mowers. Hope this helps! :cool2:

3. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion the Exmarks hydro walk behinds are the best in the industry. The cut is super. The controls are very smooth. You can get a optional striping roller, which is a must have. It also serves as a gigantic anti scalp roller. The machines are extremely reliable. The two Exmarks that I own have experience virtually no downtime. The ztr (one broken belt) and the 60" wb (zero problems). The ztr 800hrs, wb 450hrs.
    As far as engines go, I highly recommend the Kawasaki's over any other gas engine. They have excellent power and torque. Very quite, smooth and reliable. They also get very very good fuel economy. My 23hp uses only around 1.25 gallon/hr and my 27hp uses around 1.5 gal/hr. One of my friends has a generac on a dixie chopper and it burns over 3 gallons an hour. Can you imagine spending almost $10/hr on fuel for one mower. Thats more than the employee running the thing makes an hour!! Makes you start to think doesn't it.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with the 36" Scag. They are one of the best built, don't pass them up if you have a dealer in your area.

5. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I have one 48" belt drive Bob-Cat, with a 15 hp Kawasaki. This machine is incredible. It has close to 2000 hours on it, uses no oil, leaves a very good cut and the best stripe of any machine I've owned. I also have three 48" SCAG hydro's with the 17 hp Kawasaki, they are also very fine machines, but don't leave quite the stripe the Bob-Cat does. I would have bought more Bob-Cats, but had dealer problems, now he's out of business and no one else really deals in them around here. In my opinion, I'd say Bob-Cat or SCAG and get the Kawasaki engine. Hydro or belt drive is pretty much personal preference, but I'd go with the hydro, and if you're going to get a sulky, I'd spend the extra money and buy a two wheel Velke. Demo as many units as you can and buy what works best for you.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scag here compare.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

the one you can afford, with a great dealer close by... its the support after the sale that really counts, all of the for mentioned machines are great.....

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I prefer the one someone else is using. make life easier :D

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

:) :) :) :) :) :)

10. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

TORO PROLINES BLOW, i had one and it gave a AWESOME cut but it was very underpowered, the hydros were weak, and it wouldnt really pull well.
    As far as wb's i think the eXmark turf tracer is the champ.......i love em......when ever time comes to get a wb turf tracer it is....they are a little pricier but trust me they are worth it. (At the moment i dont have a wb)

ZTR- Toros the best in my opinion
    WB- Theres no competition EXMARK ALL THE WAY