Best Walk Behind Mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MJ Scaper, Jul 31, 2011.

1. MJ Scaper

MJ Scaper LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hi,

Im starting up a new lawn and landscaping business this coming spring and would like some advice about walk behind mowers. Im looking to buy a 36" gear or possibly hydro walkbehind with platform attachment capabilities on the back.

In your opinion, What is the best walk behind mower for the price? Ive been looking at toro and lesco products thus far.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag hydro.

3. ArenaLandscaping

ArenaLandscaping LawnSite Member

Lesco in my opinion is the best. I have been using them the last 15 years with no problems. They are reliable. I have 3, the oldest one that I have is a mid 1980s Lesco 48" belt driven with a Kawasaki 14 hp. Never been rebuilt, still runs to this day. Its retired now, its only used to cut my own lawn.

4. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

scag hydro. you get what you pay for

5. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

What ever mower you get don't get a belt drive.
    Most defiantly go with a hydro drive.

6. MowingMowingMowing

MowingMowingMowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Exmark Turf Tracers, best walk behind on the market, hands down.

7. ATLandcare

ATLandcare LawnSite Member

The scag is a fantastic machine, but when it comes to availability, a common floating deck, and price the exmark turf tracer is one of the greatest. I'm not saying it cuts better than a scag or runs better, but for a beginner I believe it is the best!

Exmark Turf Tracer Hydro Walk Behind!!!!!!

P.s. I'm in no way brand loyal, I have operated both and love them both!

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree although I have a 52" turf tracer I would suggest getting the Exmark 48" turf tracer hp, its the most used walk behind out there for a reason. They are very dependable, versatile, and leave a good cut.

9. Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13 LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Vikings pretty good.

10. copper13

copper13 LawnSite Member

Lesco's WL93B or WL95B will serve you well. I have a 95 and it rocks.

However, Better Outdoor Products' Quick 44 Dually will be my next new purchase. Quality components and built/assembled in North Carolina? They'll get my money. http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/