Best Walk Behind Mower...........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Nov 6, 2003.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

as posted earlier I was looking at a used walker, turned it down and am looking at a walk behind and was wondering which is best quality and cut?

The walker walk behind, the exmark ?
    I will be only be doing about 25 residential properties with the biggest one being about 2 acres in size with the remainder being average of 1 acre

2. subdube

subdube LawnSite Member
    from NC

Try Exmark, Hustler and Gravely. There all great machines but demo is the key word. Demo demo demo and you want go wrong.

3. LLawns

LLawns LawnSite Member

You really want to try many machines befor you purchase one. Different machines handle differently on different terrane. You may like a machine but then you get on a wet hill and slide all the way down to the bottom. If you demo several machines you will know what machine will fit you the best.

4. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

make sure your walker will fit in back yards with fences.

5. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

is the walker walk behind any good or is it just a name and to go with the exmark?

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

scag or exmark is best

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

#1 WB? eXmark Turf Tracer 52" 23 Kawi coupled with 2-mode Bullrider. Hustler WB is good in terms of durability and ingenuity on handle and control but the "cut" is still in R & D, yet to beat eXmark cut ( and I doubt they ever will). I have seen a fleet of Hustler Z, and SWB in action couple last weekend on commercial prop and not quite impressed with the cut, leaving too much stringer behind. So you have to figure out what you want out of your WB...the cut or the control, etc.
    For me? eXmark all the way.

8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) 52" Scag with advantage deck is the best IMO and the exmarks come in at number 2...........Marks Mowing Service

9. MandT Lawn Care

MandT Lawn Care LawnSite Member

exmark or scag, i run exmark but it was a tough choice.

10. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

I currently use exmark and I am very happy. They are great machines and priced well. I use all belt drives and crank out a ton of work. Finding what suits your needs is key. I used a 32" encore walk behind for two years. I paid $1800.00 and made a butt load of money. I never realized the difference between good and bad machines because it was all I had ever used. The bottom line in my eyes is look at your work and market and buy accordingly. I would love to own a ztr mower but my business does not need one. I can afford it and would love to feel the wind blowing in my face, but my belt drive walk behinds put in a brand new pool for my little gire to enjoy this past summer.