best walk-behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hustlers, Apr 12, 2001.

1. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I have a fifteen year old bobcat that runs like a new one
    with a 12.5 kaw. I have an MTD hydro and I don't like it.
    Who do you think makes the best Gear drive Walk-behind
    for the money. My pick was bobcat

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Would you please edit your profile and put in your location? It helps in answering some posts. If you don't know how, email me your location and I'll put it in for you.

3. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have the MTD Z model? If so it is the same as the newest LESCO Z that came out on the market last year. A partner of mine that I do some accounts with got one and I was not too impressed with it. I am not bashing it by no means but in my opinion the deck was rather cheap in craftmanship. They fixed that this year and proves to be a better machine. As far as your bob cat goes they were never really introduced to this area. Exmark seems to be one of the first around here in commercial mowers. I have an exmark that is every bit of 12 yrs old and possibly older. She cuts good but looks a little rough. The old exmark's look very much the same as the bob cat. Atleast that is what I think after looking at some pics in another thread.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've run exmarks, hondas, encores and tested others. I love the exmark metro. Its well priced and the cut quality is unbelievable. So, my recommendation is exmark, unless you live in my area. :D Then go get a crapsman. heehee.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Exmark Metro 36. It has been virtually flawless from day one except for some engine issues when it was brand new. The quality of cut is excellant. These mowers have so many adjustments on them in regards to operator comfort and deck pitch that I can't hardly keep track of them.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

for the money it's hard to beat the lesco 48 belt with the 14 kaw single lunger.

GEO

7. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto to geogunn's post. He hit it right on the head. Only thing is, now they ship with a 15hp Kawasaki v-twin instead of the 14hp single cylinder. Even better bargain, cause the 15 is a hoss! You can't get that in ANY other brand even CLOSE to the same price. Not to mention, the mower is made heavy duty as they come. Better construction than most of the competion! Best 2500 you could spend!

8. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

I don't care if lesco is biz partners with mtd there walk behinds are build like a brick sh house next one will be lesco hydro and i'm no doubt an exmark person

9. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I suppose I am amazed that after experiencing T bar steering - anybody would be interested in anything else (as far as WBs go) Sure the decks may be a bit better on others, but the engines are the same. I started with a Toro ProLine 37. It was so easy to manuever and best of all, you could just let go of the bar and step off the jungle wheels if you needed to without doing anything like securing the brake, turning off PTO etc.. I wouldnt use any other WB.

10. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Metro HP 48". Best dang belt drive I have ever been behind. Very nice cut, and reliable. I love mine!