Best Walk-behind

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by DiMassa33, Sep 17, 2006.

?

Which brand makes best walk-behind

1. Exmark

133 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. Scag

84 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Lesco

20 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Bobcat

20 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Other - please list what you think

93 vote(s)
    26.6%
  1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Belt drives are good for starters.

2. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

QUOTE=SnapperAriens]Belt drives are good for starters.[/QUOTE]

I don;t agree. It depends on what you are cutting. I had a 1997 exmark viking 36" that i hated. My friend had a belt driven scag 36" and for the size properties i did, it was a better all around machine. The only thing i liked better about the hydro was the reverse. Other than that the belt driven for me is better. I ended up buying a scag 36" belt driven. All the landscapers around me only use 36" scags belt driven exclusively. this is just my 2 cents. I only cut 1500-4000 square foot lawns that where some are gated and alomst 99% flat. The only hilly home i do is about 500 square feet and i use my 21" lawnboy. IMO. LawnInOrder

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya belt drives are good for most starters and for smaller flat areas and gated back yards. Once you start using a beltdrive for large properties with slopes and have a sulky mounted on it your gonna want a hydro because they don't have belt that can slip when wet or on steep grades and have consistant power all the time.

4. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

yea that was the other thing i was gunna mention. if i used a sulky or velky i would have kept the hydro. but the properties are so small i really don;t even need a 36", but i makes it faster. and as far as hills a hydro s better. It all depends on your conditions. LawnInOrder

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

yep, every machine has its stong points and best uses depending on the property and other factors.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Merry Christmas Scott:waving:

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see many votes for Toro's T-bar. I've been using Toro's for what seems like ever and I have never had any problems at all and best of all they have one of the best cuts in the industry. I would take Toro's over Scag anyday for quality of cut.

8. S man

My briggs 4.5 on my murray went out with only three months of light use. :cry: :cry:

9. S man

and a happy new year:waving:
    I'm going with toro this year when business starts picking up. I really want to try a turbo force deck model.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The Toro turbo force deck wb's are pretty good units. They cut and stripe extremely well! Toro made a big deal about having the adjustable baffle on the deck but I think its just bragging. I am not dissing the unit at all, I just don't see what all the hype was about.