1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best walk behind?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by the ace, Mar 13, 2005.

1. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

I have about 24 small lawns that can only be mowed with a 21" mower due to the small gates in the backyard. What is the best commercial grade 21" or eaqual mower for this situation. I don't want to buy something that can't hold up to 20+ hours of mowing every week. Any help would be greatly appeciated.
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Ace, Exmark is coming out with a 26" push mower. Its a little pricy though, to the tune of $1350.00. Our 21" Husquvarna we bought from Lowes has held up for 2 years now, and it looks and runs like brand new. Just do routine maintenance. But any commercial mower I would think would hold up. Plus bigger fuel tank is a plus.
  3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

honda makes some nice 21" mowers. My old boss had one for 13 years in commercial use, and i've had a honda tiller since 1987 and it still runs like new.
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial 21" mowers seem expensive for what they are. You may want to consider just a nice, dare I say "homeonwner" model. For example I've had a 21" toro self propelled that came from Lowe's. Its going into its sixth season, and is still running great, it has a several minor repairs though.