1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best walk behinds???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cigar6, Feb 23, 2002.

1. cigar6

cigar6 LawnSite Member

Great post. I have gotten some great info from all of you guys. I own a company that performs repair and renovation services for REO or bank foreclosed properties. Some of theses properties have been vacant for several weeks or even a month before they are mowed( by us ) during repair and rennovation before being put on the market. We also maintain the lawn areas of properties until they sell .

What would you recommend as the best brand walk behind??
    Hydro or gear driven??

I have found a Kee"s hydro that was a demo unit 52" 17 hp that is for sale for $3100.00
    Is this a relable brand??

Thanks for any input and assistance.!!!!
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

welcome, kees is a good brand name, best reccamendation is to demo the different brands, main ones are exmark, toro, scag, deere, kees, and many more, demo them see what u prefer, each person has different opinions.

I also highly reccamend u do a search, read the different posts about the pros and cons and our opinions.

Welcom to lawnsite.com and good luck!
  3. I read and reread the post.

Same old question.

You are beating a dead horse.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mowers of choice is down below.
  4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly Mike, almost all commercial mowers should serve you great with perfect maintenance. Look more at the dealer, the cost, the need of the machine. It's all what you prefer.

5. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

We run two Kees belt drive walkbehinds. As of now we have had now problem besides the throtle control and there going on their third year. Sounds like a good price but what year is it? I believe Kees is only making up to a 48" walkbehind now.

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

My advice as to the very best walk behind is the dealer. So what if you do find "THE BEST" mower if you never can get parts or get it worked on when you need? I think you have to look at this from both ways. A very good commercial mower (of which there are many brands that are good) and a great dealer for support (which sometimes can be hard to find). Only then do you get close to "THE BEST" in those terms. Maybe you can call some of the other LCO's in your area and just ask which dealer they use and why. Even ask if there are any dealers not to work with. Most will give you 1 or even both answers.
  7. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I agree with Crazy Gator. It's all about the dealer. How close is he (or her). How pricey is he. How quick can he get to you. It's all about personal preference also. Some people like Chevy. Some people like Ford. Some like neither. It's up to you. Try out a bunch of different one's until you find the one you like. Just don't forget about the dealer. Make sure he's not a crook and try to get some knowledge about the walk behind you do get. That way they can't just take your money and run.
    I find that Snapper and Lesco are the best. Lesco has a two year commercial warranty. You buy one, use it for 18 months. Sell it for 75% of the original cost (because you've taken care of it and it's still under warranty) and buy another. All you should ever have to do is change the oil and filters regularly and keep the blades sharp. Of course some other things will happen too, but that's to be expected.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Most any comm'l mower should be pretty good. Everyone has some differences.

I think eXmark makes great equipment, and the people at eXmark are awesome. Don't buy until you demo a few brands.
  9. The best way to clean up these properties would be a single blade brush cutter. Hustler makes a ride on version, and call it the rough cut or something like that.
    Unless these lawns are maintained weekly, you'll have no use for an actual lawn mower.
    If you do need to maintain these lawns in a fine cut condition, that seems like a good deal on the Kees.

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hello Cigar6 I Have two Word's TURF TRACER :D 23 Kohler 60" Ultra cut deck:blob4: Johnny g.