Best Walkbehind deal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MightyMc12, Aug 3, 2004.

1. MightyMc12

MightyMc12 LawnSite Member

what is the best deal any one has gotten on a walk-behind mower. What is the cheapest one could be bought for. i want one desperatly but i bought two brand new toro prolines this year. each twenty one inch mower coast 1300 with taxes and all. any ideas?

2. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

i don't know if this is the cheapest but i got a gravely pro H 36 pro steer for $3580.00
    people keep telling me it's a good deal :)

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

It all depends on what you want in a mower.

1. Deck size
    2. Belt drive or hydro
    3. Fixed or floating deck

You can buy a 36" belt drive, fixed deck walk behind from Landscape Supply for like $1600-1700.

Myself, I won't ever buy another fixed deck, belt drive walk behind. I'd rather spend the money for the added luxury of a floating deck hydro.

4. MightyMc12

hey go getter what kind of a 36 belt drive can you get, and what is landscape supply.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

www.landscapersupply.com

I'm not sure, but I think the mower is a Bradley with Landscapers Supply paint and decals on it.

6. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

you can buy a Yazoo/Kees 36" bd w/ a fixed deck for 1700.00. Personally I'm with the other guys........36" hydro w/ floating deck is worth the wait and extra money

7. MightyMc12

what good is a hydro anyways. plus why floating deck i dont see where the extra money pays off

8. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

A Hydro for me does the following:

It allows me to trim under trees that are near the ground such as Spruce and Pines. I just mow under the tree or shrub and back out. This is the same reason LCO's who use front mount Grasshoppers swear by them.

Several of my accounts have fences next to the house that are too small to turn the W/B around so I just back out of it, whereas if you had a belt drive you have to stop, put it in assisted reverse and pull like heck or weed eat. The hydro allows me to back out without ever stopping.

I can do the "Y" turn if I so choose.

One of the biggest benefits to the Hydro is that it does not slip in wet grass like B/D's do.

These are just a few reason why I like the Hydro vs. the B/D

The reason for the floating deck is even easier.

LITTLE OLD LADIES WHO WANT THEIR GRASS CUT AT 2" when you are cutting the rest of your accounts at 3 1/2. I can change cut height in less than a minute. If, you have a fixed deck you have to remove your front caster and move spacers around which requires two people or a jack.

Doug

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know where you can buy one new for cheap, but I only buy used WB mowers.

I agree with the guys about the hydro and all, but I would say a stander 36 is the best route. Having said that I can't afford it and won't when I expand.

I just happen to have 2 36" WB that I would part with. One is basically new and the other is 7ish years old but runs great.

10. crimso

crimso LawnSite Member

the bradley is a pretty good deal. got mine for $1500 otd with the 15hp kohler. i'll concede there are better mowers in terms of quality and engineering. i looked at the exmark and they are lightyears ahead with respect to linkage and the floating deck but you'll pay dearly for it.

i had the dealer move the deck up. it ships in the lower position (there are only two). then i adjusted at home with the spacers to get the height i wanted. i put a few washers along side the blade lever to center it in it's slot. sharpened the blades and it works perfectly.

i looked at these mowers over the course of 3 months and weighed price, quality, ease of use, frequency of use and maintenance. there were mowers with easier handling, higher quality, cheaper price but not all on the same machine. it's a matter of money vs. priority.