best walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Simmons, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons LawnSite Member

everybody whats the best walkbehind you have ever used. Belt or hydro , floating or fixed deck?
  2. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i have used all of them. Belt drive seems to slip when they get when and are a pain to turn around in tight areas. Hydros are great and quick. I like the floating decks(scags) but the can be pretty heavy to lift and they still do scalp to some extent, but are alot better on un even yards. other wise you would have to lift the front of a fixed deck on they yards(52'' or larger decks).
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Jason - have only used 1 - Quick 36. I would say this machine is one of the best VALUES out there too. Great bang for the buck.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

look into the new scag floating deck its super easy to adjust.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We run the old Scag Hydro 36" and it has the floating deck and is pretty heavy but the unit is a battle ship. I think Scag completely blew it with this new unit way way too much change with the bicycle handles and other stuff....I was wondering if they still sell the old model...any insight on that.
  6. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons LawnSite Member

How are the toro hydro walkbehind? thinking about buying one and do toro offer a striping kit for walkbehinds
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

toro tbar-no sub!
  8. nograss

nograss LawnSite Member

My money is on a hydro 52" Ferris walk Behind. You can run them over , shoot them, drown them in a lake, and all you have to do is blow them off and put a high quality cut on a lawn. Just my thoughts after using them for 8 years. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of preference and that is mine personally.
  9. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Toro T Bar T2 hydro turbo force floating deck. The best there is! I agree with eds comment on the new scags. I like the old pistol grips better to.
  10. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

I am sold on the wright velke mower. i have two 48 in. fixed decks that have been bulletproof. we run the crap out of them. great cut, easy to maintain and priced very reasonable.........