Best Walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dave.klassen, Dec 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dave.klassen

dave.klassen LawnSite Member

Hi guys, I'm interested in upgrading some of my equipment next spring and could use some advice. I'm interested in a mid-sized walkbehind mower, possibly floating deck gear drive. More specifically, I'm looking at two brands: Exmark or Toro. Which brand would you recommend? I know they are essentially the same company but there are some obvious differences. My use for this mower would be high-end residential where striping and quality cut matter. Any advice is appreciated.

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have been using Toro commercial mowers for over 20 years and Toro has never let me down and the quality of cut is second to none. Exmark is owned by Toro so I don't think you will go wrong with either.

3. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

If you are going gear/belt drive, I would go with the Toro T-Bar controls, best controls for a belt drive in my opinion.

4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Exmark doesn't currently make a floating deck belt drive. Toro t-bar is the best control system for belt drive mowers. They are really easy to operate and hold up well. Plus the learning curve is pretty short.

If you want the best overall walkbehind than I would recommend the exmark Turf Tracer or TTHP. They provide a great cut and a very maneuverable. They also provide higher productivity than a belt drive and handle a sulky better. The downside is that they are more expensive and have a longer learning curve. An inexperienced operator can do alot more damage with a hydro than a belt drive.

5. Cheeta

Cheeta LawnSite Member

Just purchased a toro grandstand 48inch w.b. , but have to pick it up in Delaware ! iIf you own one do you like it? Pos& cons?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. tnwildcat

tnwildcat LawnSite Member

Snapper Pro Hydro can be purchased for the close to the same as a Toro or exmark belt drive. 4399.00

7. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

The TTHP is now called the Turf Tracer S series. I own 2 and the cut quality is impeccable and the ECS controls are very nice for operator comfort. Don't waste your time with the belts you will not regret the extra dollars for hydro.

8. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

he wanted floating deck gear drive so the only way he can really go is scag.

9. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

he wanted floating deck gear drive so the only way he can really go is scag.

10. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't buy a scag SFW. That particular model is built lighter and is only intended as a light commercial model. It only has a 4 speed transmission and a briggs engine.

Toro makes a really good floating deck belt drive. They have kawi engines, 5 speed transmission and a good deck design. Plus the t-bar control system is really easy to use.