Best wall washer

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrigatingguy, Oct 16, 2007.

1. irrigatingguy

irrigatingguy LawnSite Member

Can you guys tell me what you think the best wall washer is? I have used the Kichler 15361AZT. What about just a wide flood instead? What is the right bulb for washing lighter colored walls? Should the wide floods have a hood or not? Thanks for helping a new guy out.

2. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

I really like the light output of the kim KLV215...or the Unique Stellar or starburst...

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I really like the Kichler 15396 and 15385 for a wash light.

4. Lightscapes

Lightscapes LawnSite Member

Another vote for the Kim KLV215. The optional barn doors are a great addition for glare control.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Now ones to stay away from. While I admire the cast line and thier quality I gotta say thier was light is about best used to light your sign on a job. Its unadjustable and often times the desired angle places the stake at an unacceptable angle so its NOT sturdy in the ground. Once cast puts a knuckle on it like the bullets we got a winner.

The Kichler paul mentioned are good but pay particular attn to the stellar and starburst lights. I have not used the kim was lights but if they are anything like thier other fixtures they are super robust and built like a tank altho with thier price tag they will not be for everyone.

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

For Soft wall washing techniques I would recommend the Nightscaping Softliter, and MiniWashliter. They are very nice copper fixtures using miniature lamps and have accessory glare shields available.

For larger wall washing and flood lighting I like the Vista GR5103 and GR5212. I will use the Hadco WAML14A on occassion too but they have socket issues in the long run (like most hadco products!)

Have a great day.

7. irrigatingguy

irrigatingguy LawnSite Member

Paul - which do you use for wall washing residential homes - like some of the ones on your website? Beautiful website, by the way

8. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you. For smaller areas I use a bullet light (Kichler 15384). For areas that are a little wider I will go to the 15396 and for even wider areas I will use the 15385. It's pretty much a judgement call on each project depending on the building materials and the size of the area I need to cover.

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Not being familiar with that fixture, I Googled the Kichler 15384. Seems like they are readily available to the public online with prices ranging from $40 to $55 ea. and use an MR-16.

For a "wash-light" I'm thinking more subtle. As an example, check out the FX SI-5/ SI-10/ SI 20.

http://www.fxl.com/products/documents/11568891292912712.pdf

One could use the FX RS series with a frosted lens, but it just depends on the light level you're trying to achieve.

http://www.fxl.com/products/documents/11568873402908735.pdf

I've never installed a Kichler fixture, so I don't know how they hold up... but my supplier has told me about problems with regards to parts availability and warranty issues...

This fixture looks equivalent, and is probably in the same price range. That's why I'm making a comparison.

Unlike so many other brands of powder-coated aluminum fixtures I've either installed or encountered in the field (incl. Hadco, Vista, Nightscaping, Lumiere, and Focus) especially in wet locations, FX is the absolute standout winner as far as my never having had to replace a fixture based on finish or materials failure.

As far as I'm concerned, when I want a powder coated aluminum fixture, FX is the first place I look, despite all the silly Italian names that sound like the owner or marketing people got over their heads into a bottle of Chianti late one night.... :)

10. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Our 2 most popular floodlights!

Stellar-B25-20-WB
    Perfect for wall washing smaller architecture and plant material. Comew w/ a 20w Xelogen lamp and a designer lens pack including frosted, liner and dimpled spreads. Stake, and 25ft of brown 16/2 pre fitted to the fixture as well. Solid brass construction, LIFE TIME WARRANTY regardless of what ever products you use in conjunction.
    http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/STELLAR.htm
    [​IMG]

Starburst-B25-35-WB
    Perfect for wall waching and uplighting where you need a broader more powerfull light. The Starburst comes with a 35w Xelogen lamp for that softer sread lighting. This lamp would plug into the side mounted socket. The Starburst aslo comes with a 35w FMW MR16 for use when you need more pop! Order the Starburst w/ a 20w lamp if you desire a less intense light. It also comes with a designer lens pack including Frosted, linear and Dimpled spread lenses. It too has a 25ft brown 16/2 cable attached and a stake.
    http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/STARBURST.htm
    [​IMG]

Again both lights are life time warrantied and come with lamps and lenes you need to obtain your desired effect. It doesnt get a whole lot better when it comes to wall waching fixtures, cheaper but not better.