1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best way ro remove blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by homerlex, Jun 8, 2008.

1. homerlex

homerlex LawnSite Member
    from CT

Trying to remove my blades from my Sag freedomZ for the first time. Man, thise suckers are tight. The book recommends some tool to help lock the blades. Anyone have any sugesstions how to loosen these without the tool?

Even when locked I think these things are gonna be tough to remove cuz they are so tight.

Thanks in advance!
  2. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

i use a c-clamp and a piece of a 2x4 to hold the blades still. from the factory the nuts may be locktited so you may need to heat them a little to break them free.
  3. get a impact gun.
  4. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

I just take a scrap block of wood and place it under the deck to lock the blades up. I believe someone also makes an actual blade lock but the wood block is cheaper and does the same job. I would recomend a battery powerd impact and carry it in the truck with you. This will make it easier to change blades on the route and packs enough power to break the tight ones loose. If you have an air compressor you could also buy an impact for that but you couldnt use it on the route. Hope this helps.
  5. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

Or just put a long pipe on the end of a wrench to get more leverage, like a breaker bar.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly, no fuss, pull the trigger and thier off.
  7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I drive one tire up the side of my ramp to prop the mower up and then go to work. Hold the top bolt with socket, loosen the bottom. No need for any pieces of wood or fancy gadgets. Is this the first time you have changed the blades on the mower? I've got blade changes down to under 5 mins this year which gives me more motivation to keep the blades nice and sharp.
  8. homerlex

homerlex LawnSite Member
    from CT

Block of wood and long handled torque wrench did the trick. Getting the block positioned right for each blade was fun. I'll have to try the top bolt holdin method next time.

Thanks for the help guys!
  9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

On my Tiger I roll it up on ramps. Place a closed end 15/16 wrench on the top nut. This holds the nut and keeps it from turning. I then take a 15/16 socket on a ratchet and loosen the bottom bolt. Using my hands to take the top nut off the bolt falls right through. Pull the old blade and spacer off and put on new sharpened blade and reverse the process. Scag system is simple design. I can change blades in a few minutes.
  10. rthacker

rthacker LawnSite Member

I have used the block of wood method for years. This year I purchased a Bosch 18volt impact wrench with 1950 inch pounds (170 foot pounds) of torque. This wrench easily removes the blade bolt and you can use in the field. I bought the wrench on line from Bosch for $200. The block of wood method will work, but the wrench makes it easier.