Best Way To Advertise Lawn Fert Service

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by evergreenlandscapes, Dec 8, 2006.

1. evergreenlandscapes

evergreenlandscapes LawnSite Member

Can anybody give me any advice on the best way to obtain new customers for the coming 2007 season for lawn fertilization and pest control? What do the big guys do...???? We were thinking about an insert in a weekly publication...cold calling, etc... We are an established landscape company and we have around 40 customers that we take care of now (fert) Our target number of customers is 200. When is the best time to advertise? And can anyone give a suggestion of what might have worked for them. Do I go door to door? Do I put an ad in the newspaper ? fliers? insert in paper? Obviously someone will tell me to do it all, and thats wonderful but I was hoping to not spend a zillion dollars. Your opinions would be much appreciated.( Yes ,we have our applicators license and are insured) :)

2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend doing A LITTLE bit of everything, as you don't have a baseline for what works for YOU. Word of mouth is probably best, do a referral discount. I did one this year that was complicated and hard to track, but it worked. I gave the referring party 10% of what the customer referred bought, off next year's service. i.e. they refer the neighbor and he signs up for $100 program, they get $10 off next year. I did doorhangers last year, several nieghborhoods of varying class/income, not a single phone call....not one, so I crossed that off the list. Yellow pages ad-maybe broke even at best-$600.00 more I'll have in the budget next year when I cancel! I would try a bit of everything to see what works best, then concentrate on those types of marketing in the future. P.S. do a search in this forum, as it has been discussed in the past and you may get other ideas. Marc

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We will be doing some direct mailings this year, and today, as I opened up my Flint Journal, I found an 8 1/2 x 11 flyer from a Chinese restaurant. The beauty of this, is that they do different demographic areas. I will be targeting a "Smalltown U.S.A." type area that has plenty of new housing developments as well. It is about 10 minutes west of me. They also have a small newspaper for their town, as well. I have a nice sales letter that is sort of an attractive "persuader" and plan on getting alot of use out of it. I also have some rather nice incentives for my referal program, and it works very well. I am fired up for next year, and ready to GO!!!! I am lovin' life, and loving this aspect of it. If I could just get rid of all this mowing and stuff, I'll be all set! :)
    Marc, How far east do you come?:)

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, Joe. My furthest east "regular lawn app." customer is probably Goodrich. That flyer idea might be good. I talked to Kevin after they did the one for Lescomelt and he said they had a lot of phone calls on the Monday after. Are you going today? Look forward to talking to you, Marc

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

You should get ready to send things out right after xmas, but a lot of companies send out their renewal the fist part of the year. So you have to get your stuff out so they can compare and see how much better you are!

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i like lawn signs they great

7. cutting crew

cutting crew LawnSite Member

I'm with Marc above. The door hangers were a waste of money. I spent alot of money to have hangers made and a "door hanger company" hang 25000 around the Boulder county area. We thought, hey 1% would be great. We MAYBE got 2 or 3 calls and NO contracts. Wasn't really impressed with the newspaper ads we put in either! We have been trying to grow the lawn care division of our company for three years now and am now considering just buying another company.