Best way to advertise

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Feb 16, 2009.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I am wondering what your best return on investment has been to gain new accounts.

I have had the best referals from landscapers last year, versus what I spent on direct mail postcards and hangers

It is hard to penetrate into the landscapers because unless their current guy pisses them off then you dont have a shot.
  2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

referral program. yellow pages was the worst investment since i started my company.
  3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

What kind of referral program do you have?
  4. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

flyers work the best for us. we've done mailer, newspapers, phone books, etc....

we dont do the call for a free estimate flyer, that never works. our flyer basically says we're going to be in the area offering a one time application and here is our price. sure we do a lot of one time apps but we turn a lot into regulars. i like to call it "bait."

we do 1000 flyers everyday mon-fri. we avg 10 to 20 apps a day off the flyer and sign up at least 2-5 a day for our turf program. for us it's the only way to go.
  5. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

we send out a letter in march/april (when the grass is green and the weather has people getting that good old spring fever). give them a magnet for their fridge with the letter too. we offer $25 off the new customer's first app and $25 credited toward the referring customer, but only to be used on our additional services (aeration, grub, etc..). good way to upsell current customer PLUS get a new customer. really nice if it is their neighbors because then you can save money on labor and gas costs by getting tighter routes. got to get the customer excited about your customer and constantly remind them to talk about you though. sometimes the deals just aren't enough.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Constant ad in my local paper has been my best bang for the buck.
    Tried some doorhangers last year....a lot of walking pre-season with little return.
    Going to hang the rest of em out this year, tho.
  7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Word of mouth (customer referrals) followed by reselling old cancels this time of year. Local newspaper ads will start soon. Then, I start hanging door flyer's on neighbor houses.
  8. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search on this subject, We have been all over it.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Many years ago I got established by buying accounts or other business. To this day I believe this is the quickest and least expensive way to build accounts. In some cases I culted account by reselling them to guys who serviced that area to keep my route tight. By buying accounts I got into new neighborhoods where I could clover leaf to gain more accounts. Now granted you must wait for these opportunities to come your way. BTW one such account purchase was Mow and Go only in the fall of the year. In our year round growing season I rode those accounts over the slow months only to resell them in the spring just before rainy season. Had I not of sold them I would still come way ahead.

Now I won't tell you being big doesn't have certain advantages as well as headaches. But having been there and done that, I enjoy being a part time one man band now in semi retirement. I now work to support my hobbies and not my living expense.
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We get most of our new accounts from referrals. Then yellow pages, seeing trucks, flags, & TV. The vast majority are from referrals. My 2 cents worth.