1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to attach blower/trimmer racks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big C, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the best way to attach blower/trimmer racks on an open trailer.....bolt-on or tack weld?

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Mine are bolted on. I've never seen any welded. I'm sure it would work though.

3. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

Mine are bolted on. If I had a welder and knew how to use it they would be welded on.

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

my are bolted on... if i ever sell my trailer i can take them off and put them on the new one. welding wont be that easy to take off

5. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah mine are bolted onto the trailer that I currently use, but I am in the process of converting all of my racks to my new trailer and thought about welding them...just wanted to know what you guys thought

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Mine are bolted on. I had them on a smaller trailer and moved them to the 7.5 X 16 trailer I have now.

7. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

mine are bolt on also. i thought about tack welding it on, but just in case i want to get better racks which i will, i wont weld it.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would think welding is better in terms of how it holds but it's not good for the paint,
    you have to repaint the welded surfaces and it's not the same as the original paint,
    my biggest problems with welds is the rust that comes with it...

9. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

Welding comes closer to eliminate the chance of someone borrowing them. Most of these racks are lockable, but someone can just unbolt the rack and help themselves to it also.

10. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I thought about that also. I'm thinking about getting a cage on front of the trailer to put all my trimmers and blowers in or a bed cover for my truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device