best way to bid total yard care?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by thesargent, Jul 25, 2006.

1. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

when you bid a property to maintain everything, whats the best way to do the work? do a little each week when you mow, or my other idea was to just mow every week and pick one day a month a trim everything and spray for weeds. the property in question has probably 30-40 shrubs, already being maintained, one big hedge 10 feet tall 5 feet wide 20 feet long. and flower beds all around the perimeter of the lawn. how do you guys bid these types of jobs and how do you do the work? im not asking how you would bid this particular property, just your bidding process on total yard maintinence.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We start with the number of mows per year and then add in 8 bush trimmings and week weed control etc. etc. Then add it all up and divide by 12 for the monthly payments. You usually start by asking the customer a few question like how often do they want bushes trimmed.

3. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

thanks ed.

4. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

thanks ed. i had the same situation...

small patch of grass, huge lot of shrubs and woods. i had no idea.

i said 2 hours/visit average with an hour for usual mow, edge, and blow (most of that blowing) and another hour for hedging and weedeating, but would bill actual time and itemize what was done on the invoice. i started out with 4 hours/visit trying to get things under control. i would do it late in the day so I could ask her questions, such as would you like me to remove some of these saplings, etc., and would always say yes, so i sort of got the point she wanted me to use my best judgement to overhaul her property completely. now i'm spending an average of 16 hours/visit with installation work. OK, so now I only spend about 2 hours with maintenance, we'll if you don't count that i need to do some repruning, tackle that one large silverberry hedge row, and start weedeating and removing swamp grass by hand around the plants in the forest in the backyard. and that i need to get someone who knows what he is doing (dad) to help me with removal of these decent sized saplings over-hanging a fence.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Before we begin a contract we try to get the customer to do a cleanup. This includes getting the bushes shaped/down to a low level. It includes getting all the weeds out of the bed etc..Often a customer will try to get all this front end work done for practically nothing.