Best way to clean a mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

What do you guys use to clean your mowers with? Besides a pressure washer, do you spray any type of degreaser/dirt remover? I'm talking about getting that clean as can be look on a mower that only gets washed once or twice a year.

I want to clean my mowers real good and touch them up with some paint. Power washing alone isn't going to do the trick.

2. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I use an engine degreaser or if their not that bad spray 9 with hot water works good for me!!!!!!!

3. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

Spray the mower down with simple green then powerwash. We have a 99 cent store around here that sells a knockoff brand of simple green. Amazingly, it's 1/4th the cost and works just as good. This is less corrosive to finishes than engine degreaser. If you let it soak and spray, it'll shine again. Some spots won't come clean, and you need a good rough sponge. That's extra work, but if you only do it once a year.....

4. Soupy

I wish I had hot water :cry:. I might put an electric hot water heater out in the garage. That would be cool. I could only turn it on If I knew I was going to use it that day.

5. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

My routine is every 2 weeks or sooner is if i get time right after work (when grubby already) is get a buckeyt of hot soapy water I find tide works great soap everything down all the stuff weedeater shaft handles and heads mowers decks handles and by the time im doin its time to powerwash it off including mower bags.Then blow dry what I can with compressed air, then greese and spray lube every thing esspecially cables and wheel bearings. And last but not least sharpen up those blades and do oil changes if needed.Sadly enough I look forward to these chores lol. Oh ya dont forget to wash off the trailer too.and sometimes pump a little greese into the bearing buddys on it too.

6. Soupy

I keep up with maintenance and sharpen blades every day or two. It's the cleaning I need to improve on. My mowers are free of debris, but that's it.

I will try the simple green first. I would like to be able to do this without the power washer, but I know I am asking for to much. I could do this in the garage (two drains) if I didn't have to power wash.

7. Soupy

Can I spray Simple Green around the engine etc.?

8. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I find simple green works great on engines just wait for the engine to cool down a bit before applying and blow everything off afterwards. and lube up those cables.

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i never use cleaner. just power wash everything down and it looks somwhat clean. its a machine...arent they supposed to be dirty?

10. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

Your a working man, aren't you sopose to be dirty? They are machines true, but I look at it this way. Your equipment is a refletion of u. If a person sees a mower that hasn't been cleaned ever then they may have bad thoughts about your work. Just my .50.