1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best way to clean mower deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BarnOwl, Feb 13, 2005.

1. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

I have been searching the forums, but couldn't really find a good answer on this issue.
    That's why I want to ask you pro's how you deal with deck cleaning. As I recently purchased a ZTR mower I wonder what is the best way to clean a deck and how often is really necessary.
    I get different answers from lawnmower dealers here. One says to clean the deck by putting a waterhose under it and while hosing letting the deck run. There even seem to be decks with gardenhose plugs fitted.

Another guy recons I should not use water at all, just brushing with a dry brush will do. This is all fine if I have been mowing on dry grass, but if there is wet grass under there this will not be easy.

And do you take the deck off or is it just a matter of driving a zero turn up a couple of ramps to get there?

Really looking forward to your opinions about this.............
  2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

1" putty knife sharpened. Scrape it every time you sharpen blades. We go about every 3 days.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use a good 'ol fashion putty knife. They make different sprays and such, so expierment around. I found a vegatable oil based cooking spray like Pam works well....for a little while. Buy the generic...it's cheaper. Most of the time I use nothing and just scrape the deck when it needs it. My Walker has a tilt-up deck which is very accessible. My walk-behind I just get on my back is stick my arm underneath to scrape it. It's a pain in the butt in the spring and fall, but not much else you can do.
  4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Get down under there and dig that crap outa there, you girlly boy. A clean deck is a happy deck.
  5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

DONT power wash it.
  6. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I use about a 3" putty knife, works great! I also would NOT reccomend using a pressure washer, that's asking for trouble in my opinion.
  7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a scary thought!! :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
  8. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hoist in my shop that I hoist up the front of the mowers with and scrape away.
  9. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

So, putty knives are the thing hey........
    I was aware of not using a pressure cleaner, had something to do with the oil rings if I understood well.
  10. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I do as many on here probably and that is I drive the mower up one side of my ramp which leaves the right front tire hanging off in mid air. I can get about 60% of it this way then I move the mower to the other side and do the same. The mower is very stable in this condition. As for my walk behind I pull it up on the trailer just to the point that the back tires are on the trailer floor. At that point it tilts back far enough that it stays up on it's own. Just remember when cleaning the ztr, depending on how you parked you will be working on the road side so listen for oncoming traffic and use orange cones.