1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best way to clean spreader?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by deltascapes, Mar 20, 2007.

1. deltascapes

deltascapes LawnSite Member

I was wanting to see some techniques for clean spreader to prevent corrosion
  2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Spray it with a hose.
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I mandate that the spreader is first blown out, then washed down, then rinsed with clean water and a clean scrub brush then coated with WD-40 for storage.
    After over seventeen years I still haven't lost a spreader to corrosion.
    Theft, stupidity, running them over with a truck, falling out of a truck at 70+mph on the highway, and just plain idiocy, well thats a different matter.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Fertilizer--high humidity--abrasive particles--its hopeless. Get stainless steel--and plastic hopper. Also, the rinse water cannot be legally run down the drain, or street. You have to dispose of rinse water safely without contaminating ground water.
  5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I rinse ours off, wash with soapy water, and coat with WD-40, Fluid Film, among others. Grease any fittings to push water out. Very little, if any, corrosion.
  6. JayDawgnh

JayDawgnh LawnSite Member

Armorall works good too. i do that everyfew washes.. and rinse my machine off every night.
  7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

hose it off
    scrubb w/ soap/water
    blow off w/ air (around the hopper slides)
    dry w/ towel
    lube cables w/ transmission fluid from a hand oil can 2 times per week and grease fittings weekly
    use a hard plastic or wood scapper to clean spinner plate (never metal)
  8. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm suprised I'm not seeing more mention of Fluid Film in here.

That's a good application and will outlast any competitive product.
  9. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Dano 50,
    I received a can of Fluid Film by mistake from a parts co.. Anyway they let me keep it. I have Lesco spreaders and a Magnum, should I spray the whole unit or just the moving parts. Thanks!
  10. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd just spray the whole thing down. It will protect and lubricate everything.