Best way to clean up acorns?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by QuadRacer041, Sep 24, 2009.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Northern NJ the acorns have been falling like crazy the past few weeks. Worst i've seen it in years. Anyone have any suggestions of ways to clean them up? Grass is still growing pretty good so cutting is being done weekly. You guys cleaning them up with each visit? Whats the best way even with a strong back back they dont go very far. Or is waiting to the end better? You charge extra for that or is it included. Time adds up quick trying to clean them up.

2. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

If you've got them bad the fastest way it with wheeled blowers and a truckloader. Back-packs and rakes simply take too much time. On hard surface a vacuum will work but in grass you'll have to make so many back and forth passes (like a vacuum on carpet) it's not effective unless you've only got a couple of oak trees.

Acorns (the nut not the "nuts") are very aerodynamic and if green are very heavy for their size. The deeper the grass the harder it is to get those very forces to work against them. They are probably the one of the hardest things to pick up.

3. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

there falling like no other over here in Montgomery co. PA. there all over. im just leaving them. if the customer wants them cleaned up thats extra

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I'll clean them up when I have the walk behind blower for the oak leaves. The customer will have to specifically ask to have it done now, but it is really a large expense with little reward.

5. QuadRacer041

It sux, its take so damn long because even with a push blower they still dont go very far.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The best I can figure is... pick up a 'bunch' of small piles...

7. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

squirrel army.

8. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

We use a power broom or paddle attachment on my Stihl Kombi, and Echo PAS. Works great, broom into a pile and shovel them up. Free de-thatching also!!!!!!

9. QuadRacer041

That seems like a good idea, it doesnt wreck the grass? I would assume its faster then a blower and rake huh?

10. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

power broom works the best.