1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to clean up acorns?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by QuadRacer041, Sep 24, 2009.

1. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

you could just burn them off-lol :blob2:

2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

heee heee heee.....

....:laugh:i'm so childish

3. Smittie

Smittie LawnSite Member

Dude that was so funny I made it part of my sig!! I almost fell out of my chair when I read it!!!

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes...things like these destroy grass.

5. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

yeah but where would the nuts be located at???????:laugh:

6. cphillips0053

cphillips0053 LawnSite Member

LOL :laugh:

7. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

They're real bad here in western PA. I was blowing leaves with my tractor when I ran over a cluster of acorns and BAM...an acron shot out from the deck, hit a tree that was about two feet away from me, bounced off the tree, and was now heading right towards my eye...SMACK...the acron hit me in the eye. My left eye now is all bloody red and sore. I usually have sun glasses on but on that day it was overcast and dreary out so I didn't wear my glasses. Looks like the clear safety glasses are going to be required!

8. socty

socty LawnSite Member

They're bad up here in New England again this year. They were really bad two years ago, and I thought it would be a long time til they were that bad again...wrongo! I don't leave them on the lawn because they'll get enbedded by the mowers. Can somebody give me a definitive answer as to whether or not they do damage to a lawn? I assume they do, expecially en masse. I have a special code on my billing system just for "acorn removal". Three guys with backpack blowers can knock out thousands of acorns in a short period of time, but it ain't free!!!

9. Guinness56

Guinness56 LawnSite Member

With those brooms, though, you'd still need to pick them up in the end somehow. Shovel, etc. Plus, they'll damage the grass, right?

How about the Little Wonder HPV? I read another thread on this where several guys had a lot of success using that thing. I went to a local dealer who had an oak tree out front....he let me demo the thing there. I stomped on the acorns prior to trying it out to make it a little more realistic (ie - being pushed down by mowers, etc.) I gotta tell you, it worked great. Easily picked up 85+% of them. Unfortunately, I never bought it, and every time I clean up acorns and hickory nuts, I wish I had. Maybe this fall I will.

Added benefit would be, of course, using it to clean up leaves, etc. around inside corners, shrubs, planting beds, etc.

Just a thought.

Joe

10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain with the acorns around here. A couple houses its unreal. I just use backpack blowers to blow them into piles, then we have two plastic snow shovels we use to scoop em up and throw em in barrels. It is time consuming but its worked for me.