Best way to clean up acorns?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by QuadRacer041, Sep 24, 2009.

1. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

i was doin some string trimming today and took an acorn to the you know whats

i had to stop and sit down a minute

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Besides the obvious benefit of eating the nuts, this guy has a sack that can carry a few extra:laugh:

I use my backpack blower for high concentrations and if necessary then roll over with the Walker and vacuum them up. It doesn't get every last one but it does a decent job.

sqnuts.jpg

3. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been using the stihl power sweeper atchment and it has been working very well.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I'll bet that machine does quite a number on turf under oak trees, too. :laugh:

5. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

O yeah, do yea......:rolleyes:

6. Guinness56

Guinness56 LawnSite Member

So, I"m resurrecting this thread as I finally picked one of those LW vacs up...bought it used on Craigs List. Hands-down, this thing is VERY impressive. Since it got quite warm this past week I had a chance to begin cleanup. If you lower the nozzle on the LW HPV all the way down, it actually sticks to the friggin' ground and causes the engine to rev up like a shop vac would if stuck to the floor!

Needless to say, it sucks up a MAJORITY of the acorns, twigs, washed out mulch, etc. Easily saving hours of time. I'm a convert. 'nuff said.

Between that and a push blower, you'd have a killer combo.:cool2:

7. Guinness56

Guinness56 LawnSite Member

So, FYI, acorns have been falling here in NJ for about 5 weeks now ALREADY! Have used the HPV 3times already. It literally picks up 99% of them. Can't say enough good things about it. It loses suction when the bag fills up with leaves, etc. so you need to dump it a little earlier if you're goal is nuts and acorns. When lowered all the way, the nozzle literally sticks to the ground like a shop vac to a garage floor...

Joe

8. a12

a12 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

9. lawnartists

lawnartists LawnSite Member

I went to a rental store to look at a track loader and was talking with the owner as we were walking around his showroom and he had a broom that was designed to pickup acorns. I have never tried the machine and can't seem to find a picture for you on google. I will keep looking for a picture. It basically had rubber bristles on a shaft that would rotate. They were spaced out just right to pick up the acorn. When it came around to a certain point it would fall into a tray.

10. lawnartists

lawnartists LawnSite Member

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010