Best way to clear woods?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Craftybigdog, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys Im buying a house that has 5 acres and I was wondering what is the best way to clear the woods its alot of 1-2 in cal small trees. I want to keep the big ones. I have a Kubota KX-161 and a Bobcat A300 I was just curious what is the best way to take them out with the roots so I can till it up and harley rake it and get the yard to come in. Thanks alot I just thought I would look to the pros for some help!

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You have any pictures to show what your up against ?

If you had a 200 sized excavator with a clean up bucket you can clear that quckly but with a 161 its gonna take a while.

One way of doing it if the ground is flat is get a long length of wire rope something like 1/2 inch. Dead man one end to a large tree and the other end to either the mini or skid. Keep the cable tight and low to the ground and start to pull the cable like wrapping around the tree pulling the other trees over. Once you get the other trees pulled over it is easy to go at the root end with the excavartor and start ripping the trees out.

You have to watch with the skid steer those 1 to 2 inch diameter crap snaps off low to the ground. They turn into spears and will go through a rubber tire.

Good Luck

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Rent yourself a 200 sized hoe for a few days, save some embarrassing moments with the "Crap-o-bota".

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

BobcatRon(formerly known as Bobcat_Ron)......the guy says hes got 1" and 2" trees :)
    Me thinks a 200 machine may be a weeeee bit too much......unless my glasses need cleaning again or my dyslexia med's aren't working, I think the 161 will pluck those things out just dandy.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said, a 200 would do it much faster, just scrape the bucket along the ground and pull a bunch out rather than each individual tree with a smaller hoe.

6. Gravel Rat

It is the bucket size you want. A 160 sized machine could do the same because the clean up bucket on it isn't much smaller. With a wider clean up bucket you can start raking the top of the ground off taking the trees with it.

You start in one corner and keep raking the material back trying to keep too much dirt in it. You get a bunch of the trees sort of balled up into a pile grab the pile with the bucket and thumb give it a good shake to get the dirt out and start building a burn pile.

7. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you guys, also maybe I can use my 82" Root Grapple on the front of my A300 it might help also.

8. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

What ever you use don't use a clean up bucket,you will have more topsoil then trees and roots. I brush rake on my 35d deere mini and it is really fast for raking small trees and brush out.keep the dirt out of the brush when raking, trying to get the dirt back out of a brush pile is alot harder!!You should be able to clear and burn a 1/2 acre a day with a mini.

minimax

9. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Just get that D11 on the way by Peoria and use it too pile the brush and smooth up with after you get done digging the trees out with the 200 ex :rolleyes:

Use what you got,use the mini to dig em out and make small piles as you go.Get the skid with the grapple to piles,cleanup, and then smooth up as you go.Don't leave a mess in case the weather gets bad and muddy.

Finish as you go.

If you own your own equipment ,why rent anything especially for the size trees your talking about.

Get with it!!!!! won't take long,plus might just be relaxing working for yourself on you own piece of the rock.:weightlifter::usflag:

10. Gravel Rat

It is very rare to use a brush rake around here. If you do it right you shouldn't get that much topsoil using a clean up bucket.

I have run a 161 I can't imagine how long it would take to clear 1 acre. It would be okay if time wasn't a concern. The machine would have to have a thumb if it didn't then it will make the job even harder.

Landclearing is done differently in B.C. where a 160-200 sized excavator would be brought in to clear a building lot. The whole job is done with the excavator no other backhoes etc are used. A 1 to 2 inch trees is scrub anything that size is usually a young alder or maple tree. We also have problem with black berry bushes,broom and salmon berry bushes.

Get a burn pile started and start stacking it high as the machine can reach then get some diesel fuel and kindling get the fire started. A gas powered leaf blower gets the fire ripping.