Best way to configure for pond

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Jul 25, 2014.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I previously tried that. While it worked it took a while to get going, seemed like there would be air locked between the pump and pond and didn't want to prime

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I can't have nuttin nice! :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

did you fill it with a garden hose while leaving one port open for air to escape?

4. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Everything was froze up (rusted) so I couldn't. More less why I'm redoing everything.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You should really lose the non-galvanized nipples and fittings, if you are doing it all over. That's a material that doesn't belong in a sprinkler supply. (note that you cannot find any water friction loss tables for that specific material)

6. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Was going to replace with PVC. Do you think I should do differently, if so why.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Yes , galvi or even better brass . PVC isn't designed to take the heat from a pump.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

PVC threaded into the pump on the suction side could be a mistake. Too easy to get a suction leak there after some expansion and contraction cycles.

9. WaterWerks

WaterWerks LawnSite Member

In order to prime pump you need a priming pot, and a check valve to hold water at the far end of hosing. Unless the pump is below the water line. Also using any metal (besides Stainless Steel) is never good in an ornamental fish pond. I use Flex PVC to limit the number of connections from suction to pump, the less the better and less chance for air to enter.

10. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

There is a foot valve on the intake. Describe this priming pot if you don't mind