Best way to curve a wall?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by pictureperfectlandscaping, Apr 4, 2008.

1. pictureperfectlandscaping

pictureperfectlandscaping LawnSite Member

Hey i have built plenty of retainig walls and still havent quite figured out the best way to cut the block on a curve that is inward a 90 degree curve!! they are diamond block and the curve is opposite from what they are designed for!

2. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

I've never worked with Diamond Block as a brand, but if they are like most other wall blocks inside curves require no cutting - you just lay to the radius you need and the space in the back will get bigger. Only with tight outside curves should you have to worry about cuts as the taper on the block may not be enough. If you are talking a true 90 degrees then that is an inside corner and should be woven just like an outside corner with probably one block on each course cut.

3. pictureperfectlandscaping

pictureperfectlandscaping LawnSite Member

Yeah it is truly a 90 and yes it is inside corner!!! I just always had to make cuts and hate to do that cuz then you got to cut a block on every row when you get to that block until your done and i hate having to do that!!! I have seen alot of walls that make that curve and they are lined up i just cant figure out how they do it!!!

4. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

I'm not following - is it a curve or a true 90 degree square corner ("L" shaped)?

If it is a true 90, you can (and should) start in the corner and work out each direction. You would use full block and overlap opposites on each course. Depending on the length and how you intend to end the wall that doesn't guarantee that you won't have to cut or split at the ends. Resign yourself to the fact that in building walls you'll have to make cuts. Get a good cutoff saw, good blade, hearing, eye, and nose protection, and go for it.

5. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Do it like you do an outside 90 degree. Overlap every other course from each side you know what I mean that is the way Rockwood and versalock want you to do it with their block anyway.