1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to cut in cap on a radius wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MJK, Aug 20, 2012.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Building a wall with unilock split n stack, as I lay the cap in, the front face meets up, on the back end I have gaps up to 4inch between the blocks.

When cutting in the cap to make it look as professional as possible, do you measure this gap, divide the measurement in half, then take that amount and measure it off the face corner then draw your line to the back corner for your cut? Or did I lose you?

2. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

yup, thats how I do it most of he time.

3. MJK

is there a faster way to get the same results?

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

you can do that or just wing it like me/my guys usually do. pics help tho

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

What size caps are you using? When we use that sns wall I work with a 12" x 9" cap, gives better results and there is a 1" overhang which is nicer than the straight edge of the sns cap. Or did I lose you. :)

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We do not measure caps on radiused walls. We just use a square. But I have a mason that uses cardboard and makes a template for radiuses when all the radiuses are the same.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. MJK

the cap is 7.80" x 5.85"

8. MJK

So what do you do just eyeball it?

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

They are a pita to use, we don't bother unless its for a firepit or something, but for a retaining wall, go with the 12" long cap. Much nicer finish. But ya a square or just eyeballing it works too. Try to overlap the joints though, this is why the longer caps work so well

10. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

For big gaps I just lay a 2' level down between the two caps and draw a line down each side, for small gaps I just run the saw between the two caps usually 2 or 3 times until they fit tight (be careful not to cut through the face of the block if you do it this way). These two ways are much faster for me.