best way to deal with leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikekl, Dec 4, 2004.

1. mikekl

mikekl LawnSite Member

I go thru the same thing every fall,leaves are everywhere,and it ends up taking twice as long to service a yard.my current solution is to put a plate over the discharge chute,and cut so im always shooting inward,and going in reverse over the last pass to chew up remaining leaves.this does seem to work,but even with the plate on it still blows stuff around from the front of the deck.exmark has a mulching kit,but I think it is basically just a plate over the chute and special blades,not sure if it would work any better than what I do now.It may sound crazy,but I think a 21" mower does a much better job with leaves than big walkbehinds,but I dont have time to use a 21" on all my yards every fall!!!

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

If you need to mulch them then you must not wait untill they all fall to the ground, you must at a bare minimum mulch the leaves a least once per week. if you cannot pick them up this is your only option. also slow your speed down on the bigger walk behinds, mulch leaves on a higher setting than cutting your lawn for heavy leaf cover.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You could get an accelerator catcher and pick them up. Just a thought.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You're not selling leaf clean up service? I like Travis idea of just using a catcher but you'd have to incorporate the extra dumping fees into your overall price and spread it out over the year.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Our city has a disposal site for yard wast so dumping is never a poroblem for me and I bag grass about half the time.
    With leaves, I block the discharge and grind them up first. Then I put on the gras catcher and bag them. the ground up leaves bag much better then whole ones and don't fill the catcher up nearly as fast. I just dump the ground up leaves on a tarp in the truck bed. This has worked well for me for several years now.