best way to deal with moss

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shm, Aug 21, 2003.

1. shm

shm LawnSite Member

I have a lawn that has a ton of moss. I want to get rid of it and re-seed the area...any suggestions?....I put down some moss control last year but it didn't seem to do much and moss just chokes any grass that i try to start...is there a better time of year to deal with moss? early spring...late fall?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You need to correct the problem in the area that is causing the moss to grow. Such as, low tree limbs, poor air flow, not enough sun light, too damp, test soil for PH level for lime.

Gene

3. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I agree - its best to look at the cause and address that.
    I think moss usually indicates acidic soil.
    And then you need to consider the right kind of grass for the situation (shade/sun etc) and then its more a matter of what is the best time to seed that type of grasss (or would sod be better?).

In some yards, problem areas may be better handled by planting something besides grass, such as shrubs or ground covers.

4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

The main reason for moss is surface compation,with this moss of yours thriving on a layer of moisture that is unable to drain away from the surface of the turf. I hear of many people saying just add lime but this only depends on the Soil PH and would cheek the PH before adding lime because you could end up making the problem worse. I think the keys to avoiding moss in the first place is good airation, drainage, soil fertility and to avoid scalping the lawn. There are granular and liquid chemicals to get rid of moss and if you spend good money on one they work fine.
    Also when the moss turns black or brown scarify it. It makes a great compost-mulch for hanging plant baskets:)

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Dig a pond and put it on the rocks for color.

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya my cousin's lawn has a lot of moss as well, I will be trying to get rid of moss.

So to get rid of moss you guys throw lime on your grass and re-seed?

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

alpine, please go back up to gene's and pinnacle's posts and try reading them again.

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've always been told that 3 conditions are needed to encourage moss growth.

1. Poor drainage.

2. Low light conditions.

3. Acidic soil.

I've also been told that you need to eliminate 2 of the conditions to get rid of the moss.

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Moss is just the simplest of plants, and will grow just about anywhere. But it is a poor competitor, and will die out quickly whenever any other plant moves in. If moss is growing in turf, there is some problem with the turf growth to allow the moss to succeed. In some areas of the upper west coast and Canada, excess moisture is such a problem that moss will almost always be around. But in most areas, correcting the stress condition on the turf will cause the grass growth to eliminate the moss.

Identifying and correcting the bad condition(s) is the trick. Is it poor drainage (too wet), compaction, too much shade, improper pH, wrong grass type for site, or what combo of these and other problems?