Best way to deal with this

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MDLawn, Apr 25, 2011.

1. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I'm going to try to get enough details written down here. I will be putting in a patio for my bother this year. This issue I am dealing with is how to handle a minor grade change. The distance from the back of his garage to the fence gate of the pool is 17ft with an elvation change of 8-10 inches, the garage side being higher. His whole yard slopes downhill. The patio needs to be level with the pool gate to allow it to open which means removing alot of soil from the garage side of the area. The idea was to put in a small 6-8" wall along the one side (the other side is next to the house) to allow the patio to sit lower than the grade. Is this an ok way to approach this? Is there a better way. Like I said the main problem is dealing with the grade to allow the pool gate to open.

Thanks for any suggestions or confimations.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

hard to envision.

and at this time of the year, way too busy and too tired to sit here infront of the screen trying to interpret and envision.

We do not build walls for 8-10" of elevation. we build up with aggregate and backfill with soil and taper out into the yard.

3. MDLawn

Sorry I can't explain it better, I will get a picture up later. I completely understand building it up to level it out. The problem is being caused by a gate that will swing open on to the patio. The gate is at the low end of the elevation so raising that end up 8-10" is not possible as it would block the gate from opening. So the small "wall" would be built because the upper end of the patio (high elevation near house) would need to be lowered to the elevation of the gate side of the patio. Even with a slope on the patio of 1/8-1/4" per foot, it is still too high. It is a small 12x15 area and they want to used every inch of that space.

I completely understand everyone is in super busy mode right now.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Reset the fence and gate
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. MDLawn

Thats probably not going to be on option. I'll get that picture up later this evening. Thanks for you help with ideas though.

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Easy fix. Build a step 4 feet back of the gate or so and keep the existing grade right where it is. Work with it instead of trying to solve the grading issue. Here is a picture of a pool project we did 4 yrs ago, had the same issue so we built a step in behind the gate. In the first picture the gates are not yet installed. On the next picture you'll see another project with the gate installed .Pool gates need to open inwards so you won't need a lot of room behind , just a couple of feet would do. Hope this helps.

In progress 013.jpg

cottage and tremblay 121 (Medium).jpg

7. zedosix

sorry but last picture doesn't really show the gates well.

8. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Andrew is that just a cover for the logs in the firepit? Also do you install your fencing or sub that out?

9. MDLawn

Zedosix,

I'm ebarrassed by the attached pic because of how small and simple this patio will be compared to your stuff, ha! So with the picture the high side is the garage side (yellow siding) and the low side is the pool. I though about having the patio match the grade and create an opening with a step down to allow the door to open??? I really appreciate all your time and answers with this.

The second pic (with the landsaping) was the first idea but my brothers wife wants the patio larger. This had some lose river rock to help with the grade going down with some large flag stone as steping stones to allow the gate to open. But that was squashed!

Thanks guys

Patio0001.JPG

10. zedosix

Ya, I guess it is, I only supplied the valencia, he bought the rest of the set up. Yes we sub out the fencing.

Its Andy. :)