1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Way To Distribute Flyers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JDeere Fan, Aug 24, 2004.

1. JDeere Fan

JDeere Fan LawnSite Member

Looking to get started and since putting flyers on or in mailboxes is illegal, how do you distribute your flyers. I am also open to other ways of getting accounts. Any ideas? Would like to try to get about 30 accounts... Real Estate offices, etc??? Share some of your successful ways
  2. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Get a permit to distribute flyers. And/or get out there and go door to door. Talk to people and let them know what lawn services you provide. Give them business cards to give to others. You never know that one person may want or knows someone who is looking for lawn service. Face to face worked best for me.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, agree with LCME.

Another thing that I know people do is have children deliver them. But I don't agree with that.
  4. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Have you ever responded to a flier in your box? Me either. They are normally printed on 20# paper and look cheap. That always gives me an immediate impression of the company and possibly the quality of work.
    Go to a printshop and order a 1,000 business cards that look good and clean and target your customers. We started last summer and picked up 30 accounts from the 1st thousand cards. Instead of blanketing neighborhoods we only left cards at homes that we would enjoy taking care of. IE, no ditches or cars in yards, and double gates are a must unless you want to push mow.

Good luck to you.
  5. JDeere Fan

JDeere Fan LawnSite Member

T Edwards,

This is exactly what I have done and been successful... Picked up 3 today just by talking to some friends of mine! One was a contractor that some of his new homeowners had asked him for refrences.. Now he has some of my cards! That by far is going to work the best!
  6. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Yup. You can't beat referrals. Those are always a dead lock. And a lot of times the new lawns are nicer than the original customer has.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi JDeere Fan,

Often you will see LCO's at times hire local students to hand out flyers. They also advice to check on them to make sure they are getting distributed.
  8. mowermonkey

mowermonkey LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i have a question that also pertains to this thread. I would like to acquire at least thirty accounts for next season. Do you actually need a permit to go door to door in neighborhoods and hand out flyers? and approx. how many flyers would be a safe number to distribute to get that many accounts?