Best way to double a monthly contract price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barkleymut, May 26, 2003.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

My first year in biz I started mowing my Grandma's neighbors yard. First off I can only get a 36" in the fairly good sized back yard which I don't like. Second it is a leaf nightmare, even though I can leave the leaves in the ditch. She is very old and I gave her a really low bid. Now she is calling me and wants everything to look perfect all the time. I told her yankee beetchy daughter a few weeks ago to forget about me including a spring cleanup for no charge. She doesn't understand that 5 leaf cleanups means 5 leaf cleanups and none in the spring.
    I really hate to increase the price on someone I know is unable to afford it, but I can't take her beetching anymore. So how do I propose a new price? Just send a letter? Man I've got to get a much more specific contract.
  2. wobblez

wobblez LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

you can do like i do when i give a customer a price on cutting there lawn i give them a price list for everything and that way they know and when they want one of the other items done they allready know the price and i also let them know that is for this year.
    so just send her a price list stating the on X date this will be the new price for the service

mine is something like this
    mow, trim & edge $XX
    aeration $XX
    seeding $XX
    dethatching $XX
    leaf removal $XX
    trim shurbs $XX
    fall clean up $XX
    spring clean up $XX

this way she will know what it will cost up front and if they do not like it then they can look for someone else.
  3. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

barkleymut, first of all shes not beeching, shes bitching :). is your contract with her up or did you even have one? if you did (and its up), then write a new one which tries to fit her needs and yours. if you didnt have one then tell her your gonna have to set a new deal for her cause the old ones not working for either of you. i never waste my time writting letters to these people, unless it has to do with a contract and needs to be in writting. i talk to these people face to face, or by phone at least but if we cant come to a mutual agreement pretty darn fast, like five to eight minutes, i'm gonna wish them a nice day and take my hard work elsewhere. but thats just me, good luck . also, that bitching has got to stop immediatly , i dont go in bitching about the money, and i'm not gonna listen to them bitching about the work, not for very long anyway!