Best way to dump clippings?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GotGrass?, Dec 31, 2005.

1. GotGrass?

GotGrass? LawnSite Member

New to the site, and am trying to get imput on the most effective way to remove the grass clippings. Currently I am throwing them in my trailer and using the side gate to empty. This is obviously too much work. Tarps don't work, unless you have 2 people. Does anybody have a hydrolic lift system on their truck or trailer? Or are there any suggestions? I try to push the mulching, but not all go for it.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I used tarps. What type of mower are you running? Have you tried some different mulching blade set ups?
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you should consider one of those things you put in the bed of your truck so you can dump the clippings in the bed and then roll the handle and it works like a conveyor belt moving the payload off the rear of the tailgate.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

For me, tarps do work for grass clippings. But, the key is the right tarp. I've been using 7X7 white polypropelyne (sp?) tarps for many years. They are the right size to carry over the shoulder (2 full Gobblers, 4 Lawnboy, or 4 ToroProline dumps), and last forever. To be sure, carrying them is hard work, and I try to avoid if at all possible. If I cannot dump on a customer compost pile and have to haul away, I dump in a trailer. The lip of the bin on the trailer is low enough that I can get the bottom of the loaded tarp over the edge. An 8X10, or even a 6X8, tarp does not work for me -- hangs too low on the back to carry over the shoulder. I work solo, so carrying by two people is not an option.

You didn't say anything about your volume. If you are using a large ztr, or something else that produces large quantities of clippings, then the issue is different than mine.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

The best way to dump grass is to never pick it up to begin with.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Best way to dump the clippings is to grab the bag at the opposite end from the opening, let the open end hang down, shake well. Most all will fall out.

Has to be one in every crowd, right?-sorry-
    There is a truck mount lift that drops down over the side, you back the mower up to it and dump the grass in and than it lifts up and over the side into a truck dump. I do not remember the name of the system. But this is a lot of money for this set up and I would think it would take a lot of high end work to pay for it.
    Other than that the best answer is to only do lots that do not require bagging or do what you are doing but add a tarp to the floor before you dump so it will be a little easier to clean up. Bagging is not fun
  7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, a LoadHandler. It works really good, I used it for all of my leaf clean ups this fall.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm, Dump trailer?
  9. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a e-z dumper installed 2 seasons ago and what a time saver. Just sit in the truck hit the control and your out of there in 30 seconds. but that is around a 2,000 to 2,500 dollar investment. What I did before is get a load handler. They are around 100 dollars and work pretty good in most situations. I did notice for larger loads of grass I would have to clean along side the wheel wells in the box or the grass would catch on them. But if you bag alot of grass a e-z dumper is a very good investment. I use it for mulch and dirt as well.
  10. GotGrass?

GotGrass? LawnSite Member

I am carrying about 75 accounts. My big accounts, I recycle. I have seen the loadhauler, but wasn't sure about it for such a small cost. From the sounds of it, I should give it a shot.

I looked into the EZ Dumper, but they said it won't work too well with a 1/2 ton truck. Anybody disagree that has one? Thanks for all the input.